Adding users to a jira software project does this require Jira Service Management License?

Wendy Sachen August 17, 2022

We have a new department that is wanting to use Jira Software to track tasks for their project.  They will not have tickets to manage ever.  But when I add the user and grant them Jira Software permissions, it automatically gives them Jira Service Management as well.  That is an extra license we did not anticipate having to have.  If I toggle Jira Service Management off, it turns off Jira Software with it.    Please help clarify the prerequisites to be a member of a Project.  

Thank you

Wendy

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Wendy Sachen August 18, 2022

After further investigating I found that the issue you are experiencing could be due to some Product Access Groups right overlapping with one another, see below:

In the first screenshot, we can see that Jira Software has three groups. The Default Access Group for Jira Software is 'jira-software-users':

In the second screenshot, we can see that Jira Service Management has six Groups, including 'jira-software-users':

Referring to our Documentation on How does Product Access work. When a User is granted Access to a Product, they will automatically be Added to the Products Default Access Group. With your current configuration, any User granted Access to the Jira Software Product will experience the following behavior:

• The User will be assigned the Default Access Group of 'jira-software-users'
  • Because the Group 'jira-software-users' is also listed under Product Access for Jira Service Management, these Users will be given Product Access to Jira Service Management as well.

To stop this behavior, you can simply Remove the 'jira-software-users' Group from the Jira Service Management Product Access list by selecting the 3-dot next to a Group, then Remove Group:

After removing the Group from Jira Service Management's Product Access, are you able to invite the Jira Software Users without affecting the license for Jira Service Management?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2022

Hi Wendy,

Check their membership in the jira-servicemanagement-users group. If in there, take them out. That should take them out of being a JSM Agent. 

I removed the user from all groups and  from Admin / * / Users , disabled Jira Software and Jira Service Management using the toggle switch.  

Then I went to Roles below and used 'Add to group" button and added her to "Jira-software-users"  This automatically toggled licenses for both Jira Service Management and Jira Software.  If I toggle off only Jira Software Management Access, it automatically removed the Jira Software Access and the Group for jira-software-users.  

I will have to look more at this tomorrow morning if you have any more suggestions.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2022

Just try to edit the group I mentioned above to take the user out. 

They are not in that group. but if I toggle off Jira Svc mgmt above it removes Jira Software and the associated group.  Or am I in the wrong place?

Screenshot 2022-08-17 173422.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

That's really strange. Go to the user themselves and see what groups they are in. 

That snapshot is the user's account.  It's like a weird default that is saying if they turn on Jira Software, enable Service Management too.  I can't figure out how to get around this.  If I leave them with Access to the Atlassian site only, then they can't get into the project.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

Sorry, I don't know what else to do except put in a support request with Atlassian.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Please post back here with the Resolution so we can help others that might end up in the same spot. 

Thanks for looking with me.  I will post what I find out whether good or bad news.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2022

Not sure if this helps much or not either. Maybe even to note any differences. 

Wendy Sachen August 18, 2022

John - I think this was the direction you were sending me.  But the solution in detail is:

Nathan Phillips commented:

Hello Wendy,

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Support, my name is Nathan and I will be assisting you throughout this ticket.

I understand you are trying to invite Users to the Jira Software Product, but in doing so these Users are also being Granted Access to Jira Service Management and taking a license.

After further investigating I found that the issue you are experiencing could be due to some Product Access Groups right overlapping with one another, see below:

In the first screenshot, we can see that Jira Software has three groups. The Default Access Group for Jira Software is 'jira-software-users':

In the second screenshot, we can see that Jira Service Management has six Groups, including 'jira-software-users':

Referring to our Documentation on How does Product Access work. When a User is granted Access to a Product, they will automatically be Added to the Products Default Access Group. With your current configuration, any User granted Access to the Jira Software Product will experience the following behavior:

• The User will be assigned the Default Access Group of 'jira-software-users'
  • Because the Group 'jira-software-users' is also listed under Product Access for Jira Service Management, these Users will be given Product Access to Jira Service Management as well.

To stop this behavior, you can simply Remove the 'jira-software-users' Group from the Jira Service Management Product Access list by selecting the 3-dot next to a Group, then Remove Group:

After removing the Group from Jira Service Management's Product Access, are you able to invite the Jira Software Users without affecting the license for Jira Service Management?

Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

Yes, I figured it was probably something to do with groups. Glad you got it solved, and thanks for posting back here!!

Like Wendy Sachen likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events