Adding templates to description field in issues?

Paula Pokusa July 9, 2021

One of our team managed projects was able to add a template of sorts to their description field in one of their issues. We have a team that wants to do the same but is on a company controlled project and I am trying to see if that is feasible there as well. I can understand why it wouldn't be, however understandably frustrating for our teams that don't understand the difference. 

Screenshots below (first one is company managed, second is team)

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 9.46.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-09 at 9.46.38 AM.png

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

Hi @Paula Pokusa I'm sorry but I'm not aware of any simple solution. But some workarounds exist... this one looks quite nice: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-do-we-add-a-default-value-for-a-system-field-description/qaq-p/1497722

It describes that default value can be configured for custom fields. So you can create custom field Description and replace system field with it on Create screen. You will also configure postfunction which will copy value from Description [custom field] to Description [system field]

Paula Pokusa July 9, 2021

Yeah, that's what I thought but hoping that wasn't the case. Thanks!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Adir Teram June 11, 2023

Looked up the same thing in Jun 2023, still no way to do it.
very disappointing that the only way to do it is to pay to a 3rd party app 200USD a month for just being able to add a template

0 votes
Raul Pelaez _TecnoFor - Marketplace Partner_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2022
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2021

Hi Paula,

No, you can't put in a default value for the Description field in a company-managed project. 

You can create a custom multi-line text field and use that information. Then after the issue is created with the information put in by the user, you can copy the value into the Description field if you like. 

Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

I was watching this thread. Thanks @John Funk  for confirming. Much appreciated.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer