Adding sub tasks to issues

Kobus Myburgh May 27, 2021

Hi guys,

I am highly frustrated being unable to add sub tasks in Jira. Maybe I am just inexperienced, but I have tried everything I can, checked every document I can find, but no luck.

People talk about going to "Administration" then "Issues". I do not see that menu item "Issues". I have permissions to do this kind of thing, because in other projects I do see the "Create subtask" option on an issue raised. I have changed the issue type to be the same as the one where it does work, but still no luck.

I do not know what information you need from me to enable assistance, except that:

Please assist if you can?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Ioana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2021

Hi Kobus,

Does the issue type scheme associated with your project include the Sub-Task issue type?

You can go to the Project Settings -> Issue Types to check that.

If Sub-Task is not in the issue type scheme that is associated with your project you have to add it. For this you need to be a Jira administrator to access the Administration section.  To do this:

1. Select the settings cog on the top right corner (Administration) > Issues
  2. Select Issuetype Schemes
  3. Identify the scheme associated with your project
  4. Click Edit next to the issue type scheme
  5. Drag and Drop Sub-Task from the available Issue Types to Issue Types for Current Scheme.
  6. Save

Thanks, Ioana. I could not even find the "Issues" item under "Administration" but I did manage to find the Issue Types and enabled "Sub tasks" there, so the issue is now resolved. Thank you very much!

3 votes
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

Hi @Kobus Myburgh 

You need to be a Jira admin to see Issues in the Jira settings cog, but you don't need to be a Jira admin to create a sub-task. It might be that sub-tasks aren't an available issue type within your project, so you might need to ask a Jira admin to check this in your project's permission scheme.

Thanks, Callum. I am an administrator (added to all groups) but not sure why I could not see the "Issues" item under "Administration". I did manage to see that under "Issue types" as Ioana indicated in the accepted answer, that I can add Sub-tasks over there, and it now works. Thanks!

0 votes
Naresh S V May 27, 2021

Hi Kobus, 

Under your Jira Software, go to the settings and under that visit Sub-tasks. In this section, you would be able to configure the way Sub-tasks to perform. 

Other option is on the right corner, click on settings icon and you can find "Issues". Click on that and you will find Sub-task menu to manage.

Thank you for your answer, Naresh. Ioana's answer above solved the issues for me. I do not see "Issues" under administration, and I am an administrator, so very confusing for me to find where the settings are in Jira :-)

Naresh S V May 27, 2021

That's pretty great Kobus. You managed to figure out and solve it. Thanks.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events