Adding field for contributor but not the assignee

thebaycity March 22, 2023

Hi - Is there a field similar to "Assignee" that I can use for someone who's involved (i.e. contributing to) with an issue but is not the assignee. 

I have several projects, and am using a label to flag issues across projects that have folks on my team involved. 

However, when I create dashboard gadgets for that filter, I don't have a field to display who on my team is involved in each of these issues. In other words, I'd like to see a view in my dashboard that shows the number of issues each team member is "involved" on (but they aren't the end assignee). 

I was thinking I could create a custom label for each team member, and then have the dashboard display all results across these labels. However, that doesn't seem like a very elegant way to show this data. 

Any other ideas here?

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

Hello @thebaycity 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

There is not a specific, pre-built field for that.

You could use the Watchers field, but that field is not specific to "contributors".

You could ask your Jira Administrators to implement a new custom Multi-user Picker field specifically for identifying contributors. 

thebaycity March 22, 2023

Thanks @Trudy Claspill ! I've asked my admin to create a new custom field. 

Will this custom field need to be enabled for every project? I.e. will it be an available field in all existing and new projects by default or will someone need to configure it that way. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

That depends on how your Jira Administrators have set up Field Configuration and Issue Type Screen Schemes.

Your Jira Administrators will need to ensure that the field is added to the Field Configuration schemes for each applicable project, and added to the screens for each applicable issue in each applicable project. If the projects share Field Configuration schemes or all use the Default Fields Configuration scheme, that reduces some of the work the Jira Admins need to do. Likewise if the projects share screens and screen schemes, that can also reduce the work Jira Admins need to do to make the field available.

Suggest an answer