Adding an issue to more than one Epic or Version

Hi

I have set up Jira the following way:

Epic = Test 

Issue = Test Module

Multiple test modules make up a test. Sometimes test modules are included in more than one test. Can I add the same issue to two Epics or two Versions ?

The Version/s field seems to indicate multiple versions are possible but I can't find how to add and issue to multiple versions.

Thanks

Jim 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Jack Brickey Community Champion Jul 23, 2017

One Epic per issue but you can have multiple versions per issue. The idea of Version/s is to convey which versions an issue was fixed/added to. Example: lets say I have 1.1, 1.2.3 and 1.3.1 live in the field and I'm working on release 2.0. A customer reports an issue in 1.2 and I plan to address this issue in 1.2.4, 1.3.2 and 2.0. All three of these releases can be added to the Version/s field.

Thanks Jack,

Very clear explanation. Could you let me know how in Jira I add an issue to more than one release ? I couldn't see how to set this up.

Cheers

Jim

Jack Brickey Community Champion Jul 23, 2017

If you are using the Fix Version/s field you simply select the field and start typing. A space will equate to completing the version at which point the next entry will be a separate version. If the release is predefined it will autofill and you can select. If you do not have the version predefined it will create it so be careful that you don't create nonsensical release names.

Thanks again Jack. When you say a space will equate to completing the version. My aim is to include one issue in two versions (tests) which are both ongoing (not completed). I'm trying to establish that a developed module is included in multiple tests. This is possible ?

Jack Brickey Community Champion Jul 24, 2017

Sorry poor choice of words. The space is the separator between version. The only way to 'close' a version is on the release screen. Yes you can designate any number of versions in this field regardless of their release status (released, in progress, planned). This last fact is what gave me challenges in the past since, w/o knowing the status of a release some unsuspecting audience wouldn't know if the fix was in a release w/o knowing the status of the release and from the view screen that isn't clear. The release view is a good way to help with this as it shows what is in a release and the status of the release. Of course this relys on someone keeping that info up-to-date.

Thanks. What was really confusing me was that I could see the associated version in the issue but when editing this was not visible. I had to add the version field to the screen and then it worked fine !

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,224 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you