Adding a custom field for an issue multiple times

Gowri_Sankar January 15, 2020

Hi All,

I am using a custom field of text field which is converted into single select using behavior and the result set is fetched using JQL. Is it possible in JIRA to repeat the custom field multiple times while creating an issue i.e. like having a button or + sign at the end of the custom field so that on clicking the button the same field is repeated again.

With Regards,

Gowri Sankar V R

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2020

Hi @Gowri_Sankar - It sounds like you need to create multiple custom fields to capture what you want. 

Gowri_Sankar January 16, 2020

Hi @John Funk ,

Thank you for the suggestion. Is it possible to pre populate a text field value based on the other field (Initially configured as text box but later this text box is converted to select list using convertosingleselect method in behavior).

With Regards,

Gowri Sankar 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2020

You can't do that real time in the form and see the results immediately. But if you were to use Automation For Jira, you could set the value of one field based on the value of another field changing. Then if you refresh the screen you would see the new value populated. I think Automation For Jira even has a function to do the refresh automatically, although I have not used that yet. 

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

@Gowri_Sankar

It's not possible to add the same custom field multiple times to a screen in Jira.

Did you try using multi-line text custom field?

Gowri_Sankar January 15, 2020

Hi @Veera ,

Yes, I did an other change by changing the text field to convert multi select option using behavior. Here, we have a catch where I need to populate another custom field on selecting the value.

Is there an alternative to achieve it. 

SB November 28, 2021

I think so, if have CustomField1 with values XYZ and ABC and upon choosing XYZ you get the new field CustomField2 with an option for MNO or KLM, upon choosing ABC you get CustomField3 with options for EFG and HIJ. (if there are multiple options, try a regex validator on the transition that checks for the values you want)

Automation could prepopulate the comments field with the most recent selection and then at the end strip and concat to get the answer you're looking for. 

Suggest an answer