Adding a Service Desk user to a group

Michael Anthony (vortexcommerce.com) November 21, 2014

I've invited several users from within Service Desk, however these users need to be assigned to groups to allow us to calculate the correct SLA for each user.

I know that adding a user to a group does not require a JIRA licence, however the option appears to be greyed out for anyone created with Service Desk.

My question is whether or not I can add these users to a group, or if there is a way to "upgrade" the account to a normal account without a JIRA licence - or do I have to delete these users and recreate them from the User Management panel?

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Anthony (vortexcommerce.com) December 10, 2014

The workaround I've found involves adding the JIRA user licence to the user, only on account creation - we then immediately remove the licence from the user and this leaves us with an account that can be added to a group but does not use a JIRA licence.

0 votes
Michael Anthony (vortexcommerce.com) November 23, 2014

Not quite, the workaround I've found involves adding the JIRA user licence to the user only on account creation - we then immediately remove the licence from the user but this leaves us with an account that can be added to a group.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2014

Am I correct, that your JIRA user license is being used by customers now?

0 votes

Thanks for the reply. We initially had a Service Desk per project but this quickly got out of hand as we were bringing more of our clients onto SLAs. We did discuss the idea of creating 5 different projects for each SLA type, however we wanted to streamline our process into a single Service Desk so our agents would be able to use a single queue. The workaround by creating users through the User Management instead of through Service Desk seems to be working fine, however it would be nice if Atlassian included the ability to add Service Desk users to groups.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2014

Would creating a service desk project per SLA type work? Your customers should have the correct SLA without any groups being created?

0 votes

Upon further investigation, it appears to be a limitation of Service Desk. I've resorted to not creating users through the Service Desk interface and instead created them through the User Management interface. I also found it interesting that using an email address as a username would cause the user to be treated as though it was created through Service Desk. If the user was created through User Management, simply changing the username field to a non-email would remove the Service Desk limitations. However if the user was originally created from within Service Desk, this did not work.

Suggest an answer