Adding Epic's to Tasks in Classic vs. Next Generation Projects

Jane Puleston Jones November 20, 2020

We are not able to add epic’s to any tasks that aren’t created with epics initially - this is a Classic version of Jira. We are able to do this in another project which is the next generation version and are wondering if its just something on this particular board or if it’s a limitation of the Classic version of Jira?

Any thoughts please?

2 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

Hello @Jane Puleston Jones 

That is not a limitation of JIRA Classic projects.

Can you describe exactly how you are prevented from adding Epics to tasks in your Classic project? Can you provide screen images to show what you see?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

@Jane Puleston Jones 

There are a few ways you might associate a task with an epic.

If you are viewing the task issue, open it in Edit mode, find the Epic Link field, and therein type the name of your epic. The field should automatically present potential matches.

If you are in the Backlog screen and have the Epics pane displayed on the left and the task issue shows in the issue list section, you can click on the task issue and drag-and-drop it on the epic in the Epic Pane.

Are either of these methods ones you have attempted? Are you getting an error message?

Please provide more information.

Jane Puleston Jones November 23, 2020

23Nov2020.jpg We have created the Epics at a later date to the tasks. The only tasks we can add into the epics are the ones that are created as subtasks of the epic at the time.

When looking for an option to add it to the epic all we see is this:

See attached screenshot dated 23Nov2020.

I have accepted your answer and then provided further information on this issue.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2020

You will not find a function for adding an issue to an epic under the ellipses button. Instead you have to find the Epic Link field in the issue and edit that field. You may have to click on the "Show More Fields" link to reveal the field. See screen image.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 7.48.34 AM.png 

Thank you for this response Trudy. I have reviewed this now and it looks fine to me. I have passed on the information on this to my colleague to check that this resolves their issue. If so, then we will close this Case/Query.

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2020

Hi @Jane Puleston Jones ,

In case you are looking for the Epics panel in your kanban board, you need to enable Kanban backlog first and then enable the Epics panel there.

This article describes how to do both. Look for the section about Enabling the Kanban backlog.

Hi Walter,

We are not using a Kanban Board currently.

Thank you for your response though.

Kind Regards,

Jane

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders