Add column to backlog board

Scott Porter January 28, 2020

Hi - how can I add a column to this view of my current sprint and backlog? I want to add "Status" as one of the columns when listing issues in the sprint and backlog. Thanks! SP

Screenshot of Google Chrome (1-28-20, 11-39-55 AM).png

3 answers

3 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure that this is not possible. At least not in a default Jira instance but I'm also not aware of any apps adding this functionality. So more than the three little lozenges with the color of the status categories and your story point estimations in the upper right will be difficult. Sorry about that!

Do you really need that column? Basically every issue in the backlog should still be something like a "To Do" while you can get an overview of the other issues and their status on the board in the active sprint. Have you thought about using a dashboard?

Best, Max

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

I've been digging too, I can't see anything that might help.  But given the heavy Agile stuff I've been doing since Christmas, I tend to think this is right.  You don't care about the specific status of issues in a backlog.

Like # people like this
Tyson Smith February 10, 2022

It would be super helpful if the columns were configurable. Having the status view is more important than seeing any other column for me. I use this backlog view for prioritization. If I noticed something isn't ready for dev, than I work on details to get it groomed before sprint planning.

Like Tyler Jenkins likes this
1 vote
Rasmus Stangerup April 27, 2020

I agree that you should be careful with adding columns to your backlog as a general rule of thimb, but taking e.g. the Component element into consideration it would actually be very helpful to have the possibility to add this to the cloumn section of the backlog for priority reasons. 

I know that it is possile to add as a field, but to be honest, adding a field kind of destroys the usability (look&Feel) in the backlog overview - in my oppinion.

So - Is there a way to add columns? Thanks

0 votes
Deane Smith March 17, 2022

I am looking for this same functionality - I need to have a certain column visible in our backlog because customer reported defects need to be stack ranked based on this column (along with priority) among the feature backlog.  

Suggest an answer