Add autocomplete="off" to login CAPTCHA

Scott Hiser August 12, 2020

Maybe there is a way to do this that I'm missing without editing the .jsp file.

The login CAPTCHA needs autocomplete="off" so when prompted and starting to type in a response, a list of suggestions using previous CAPTCHA's doesn't cover the CAPTCHA image.

Pretty simple change. I don't like editing core, but it's simple enough to get rid of the annoyance. There's no reason a CAPTCHA should have an autocomplete.

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2020

Hello @Scott Hiser ,

Thanks for reaching out, and I was just testing this out and I am not seeing any auto complete prompts for the captcha at log in, and I am wondering if there is either a browser extension or setting locally causing this to occur, or if its a version mismatch in my test setup compared to your version.

First off, what browser and browser version are you running, and does the error happen in alternate browsers or in private/incognito mode with the extensions disabled?

Next what Jira version are you running?

Regards,
Earl

Scott Hiser August 30, 2020

Hi @Earl McCutcheon

I just upgraded from 8.2 to 8.5.7 to see if that would fix it.

I mainly use Chrome and have been able to duplicate it in incognito mode. I've also tried Edge and FF.

Here is what I have noticed. If I have Jira in a tab, put my system to sleep, and come back later or the next day and open up in an additional tab, it can almost always be duplicated.

It acts as if I've entered the wrong password multiple times and now wants to add the additional layer of security. 

Eventually I can get in, but it does also seem like I have to try the recpatcha a few times before it will work.

The general scenario is I have existing things I'm working on and maybe a Jira issue comes over in email or an IM and I click a link to take a quick look without navigating away from the tabs/work I have set aside.

Thanks,

Scott

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events