Add Watchers - Something Has Gone Wrong

Renee Setta October 18, 2019

In the Standard version of Jira Software, we have a Project Lead/user that is trying to add watchers to different tickets.  However, it consistently is returning the message "Something Has Gone Wrong.  Out team has been notified.  If the problem persists, please contact Atlassian Support."

As an admin of the site, I have also tried this on multiple projects with the same results.  I can add myself as a watcher, but get the error if I try to add others.  I have been through everything trying to find permissions to add Watchers, but it all just looks like full administration authority or user.  No more defined permissions.

Any ideas?  Thanks so much.

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2019

Hi @Renee Setta

It is still possible to add watchers with the right permissions. Users will need:

• Browse Users from Global permissions, accessed via Jira Settings > System > Global Permissions
  • Manage Watchers in the Project permissions. If you have a group assigned to this permission in the permission scheme you can manage access via Project Settings - otherwise you'll need to go via Jira Settings > Issues > Permission Schemes to add groups who can perform this action

^ This works for Classic projects - if it's Next-Gen, there's no permission scheme configuration available yet - it's based on the current base roles. To manage an issue's watchers in Next-Gen you must be a Project Admin. 

To manage the roles, click into the project, select Project Settings > People and change the role next to each user. More on Next-Gen user permissions in this page.

If none of this works and it's still showing an error, I'd advise contacting Atlassian Support and getting them to investigate the issue!

Ste

Ed Kats November 15, 2019

Hi,

Looks like we are experiencing that same issue. If I switch to old view, there is no problem adding watchers.

I have went through suggestions made by Stephen and reviewed and adjusted Jira Settings Issues Permissions. It all looks right. But even I as an Admin and project owner can't add watchers in the new view. Keep getting Something's gone wrong error.

If there are any additional leads on how to fix this, I would really appreciate .

Thank you!

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2019

Hi @Ed Kats

Not that I know of; I've tried today in old / new view on a classic project and it works fine with the appropriate permissions and user role settings.

If it's not working and it's giving that error I'd contact Support :)

Ste

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2019

You can only add yourself as a watcher. There's a plug in for adding others as watchers.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6306/watcher-custom-field-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Victor

Suggest an answer