Active Sprint Board auto assigns tasks when moving them. Why?

When I move tasks across a sprint board for the developer actually working the task it automatically assigns it to me even if it is already assigned to someone.  Is there a way to change that so a pop-up appears asking me who it should go to or just making it so it does not auto assign like that?

1 answer

2 votes
Warren Levy Community Champion Nov 02, 2017

Hi Nick

You must have a post function on the transition (moving from one status to another) which is assigning to the current user. This is typical when developers move an item from the backlog (To Do) to In Progress, where it automatically assigns it to them. This is quite useful and saves a bit of time. Occasionally, I as the Scrum Master will move an issue on their behalf and it assigns to me - I then have to reassign it. The benefits of it always doing this for the developers far outweighs the minor inconvenience I have.

I'm not aware of a way of having a pop-up for assigning, apart from having a transition screen with the Assign field on it, but I think you'll find that it will become annoying quite quickly

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Mar 05, 2018 in Jira Software

Jack Graves: Real Ale enthusiast with a knack for Jira Software implementation

@Jack Graves [AC] first caught our eye with his incredible breakdown of what, in his opinion, can make or break a Jira software implementation. (Read his thoughts on this thread)! In this follow...

96,842 views 4 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you