Accounts for verified domain suddenly 'claimed'

MikeHalsey February 10, 2021

At 4am GMT around 60 of our staff received an email from Atlassian to tell them their accounts are now managed by their organisation Admin.

I have a Domain name which had been verified but for which I had specifically chosen NOT to 'Claim' the accounts of users that were already connecting to Atlassian products using our Domain Name as most of them use Trello and we're currently in the process of 'testing' a migration from Jira Server to Jira Cloud.

I have checked with the Admins of our platform and no-one has logged in for over a month so I can only assume this process has been triggered by Atlassian themselves for some reason.

Is it reversible?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

When I've seen this in the past, it's always been "we didn't know we had other people with Cloud sites in our organisation, so we didn't know we had more admins to ask".

But today, see https://access.status.atlassian.com/incidents/d0qv1lsb5npv

MikeHalsey February 10, 2021

Looks like we're included in that incident.  Thanks for that.

We only have 2 admins and 1 cloud site with 8 users. We operate a non-profit so, at this level we get the platform free of charge.

We verified the domain to get a sensible url for accessing Jira but chose not to 'claim' the related accounts as we have loads of people using the free version of Trello.  Claiming them all would have put us into a billable situation with the accounts on the Atlassian Access portal.

Hopefully they will get it resolved fairly soon though.

Thanks again.

Mike

Like John Funk likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

good find Nic. I was pondering this but did not consider that Mike might be using Access.

Nick Adolf May 21, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- What is appropriate path in the case you described where there are other cloud sites within out organization? I have no business claiming most of the accounts in the export. I was told we only needed to claim those which are StatusPage users, not audience members or users of other tools.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2021

I think the path is to talk to the rest of the business about claiming the accounts, but when you've worked out if you should go for "claim all" or "claim some", and landed on "claim sum", then I'd refer back to what Mike said in his question:

"I have a Domain name which had been verified but for which I had specifically chosen NOT to 'Claim' the accounts of users that were already connecting to Atlassian products using our Domain Name "

You can exclude accounts from being claimed during your claim process (don't worry, you can still claim them later if you need to), so you can drop them from the claim.  Personally, I'd want to have a clear strategy, one of

• Claim all accounts, with the exceptions X, Y, Z
  • Only claim the accounts you need for your system, ignoring the rest

I don't think it's worth being between those extremes, you are likely to end up in a mess (you can still get messy with either option, but I lean towards "claim all" - I mean, if nothing else, all the people in that domain have been let in by your organisation and your org probably owns it, might as well be consistent!)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events