Accidentally Deleted Project

Michael Dittrich January 27, 2020

Hi guys, I accidentally deleted a project from my Jira Instance. I thought it was empty because I didnt see any tasks open and I didnt know it had a bunch of done tasks in it that we needed to reference to just in case, I honestly didnt see them. Is there any way to recover it with Atlassians help? I reached out to them but have not heard back. If anyone has had any previous experience with this please let me know. Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Hello Michael,

I really understand how frustrating this situation can be.

The best approach here, I believe that would be to open a ticket with Atlassian, what you already did, and request a restore to have your project back.

It is important to note that the restore would be of your entire instance, not only of your project, so any changes performed after the project's deletion would be lost.

In case you opened a ticket with them and didn't receive an answer yet, please check the urgency of your ticket, if you opened one L4, they have 2 business days to answer you.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Carlos Henrique Ughini

Michael Dittrich January 28, 2020

Thanks for your kind answer. You've given me some hope but I understand that ATL has the last word on it and it is what it is.

On their KB they mention you can open a new Jira instance and load it into there and then take out what you need, so that it doesn't overwrite your current instance. 

I know its wishful thinking, I am a realist, but lets hope they answer positively. 

I'll post my results here for sure.

Thanks for your help!

Michael Dittrich February 3, 2020

Hi carlos, just wanted to accept your answer and thank you for your help. ATL got back to me and they can certainly restore my data, but albeit, as you pointed out, it would overwrite my instance since then. but at least there is hope. So thank you and I hope this answer will also help others to know... there is hope after death. =D

Greets,

M.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

:-(

if you did a recent backup you could do a complete restore. that is the only way I'm afraid. Any changes since the backup will be lost when you restore.

Michael Dittrich January 27, 2020

No recent back up was made, we dont really have it set up like that. as I understand there is a automatic backup service server wide in case of emergency? If so, we can create a new Jira instance and restore but as far as I understand we did not make a manual back up, I dont think we actually set that up, just started working with it thats all.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

There is an emergency backup for re-creating swathes of Cloud systems in the case of a wholesale failure.  But it's not suitable for recovering a single system

I'm afraid if you have no backup, there's nothing you can do, your data is gone.

Suggest an answer