Access permission based on Component

Bala Krishna October 29, 2012

Hi,

Pl help me on how to Achive this.

Part I.

I have two components in one project.

1. Loan

2. CRM

I have two diff set of groups in that projects. each contains many members. I am unable to restrict users based on Component.

we want to assign one component to one group.. and we dont want others can view/browse other component issues (any thing Bug/Enhancement).

Part II.

our Jira is integrated with GreenHopper.

We created two Kanban Boards based on Component field value in the filter.

We also want to restrict groups there are not part of that component.

like Group 1 has access to Loan so they should see only Loan Board

Group 2 has access to CRM so they should see only CRM Board

pl advise.

Thanks in Advance,

-Bala

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2012

You can't do it directly. There are no permissions for components.

Indirectly, you could try to find or write a plugin that will set a security level based on components.

But you've said you're using "OnDemand", so you can't install anything.

hmm okay thanks Nic.

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

I am a bit confused on your example. You have two components. You have two groups. One component will get one group and the other component will get the other group. Each group cannot see what the other group is working on. A user could belong to both groups and they can see everything.

If my understanding is correct, then I would have two projects corresponding to your two components instead of one project with two components to deal with your security issues.

Bala Krishna October 30, 2012

Well, one group is own team other group is Consultants so our management wanted to work them that way. I like your idea, but our management dont want to have two diff projects.

we have only two guys (managment level) working for both components. so if seperation is possiable then we can assign both of them to both components.

-Bala

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

As Nic has stated already, the OnDemand version does not have that freedom to modify Jira to your requirements at this current stage, but it does have the functionality as described in your question.

Wiithout getting into your company's politics, do not get hung up on the Jira's terminology. A project defines how a set of individuals interact together for a common goal. The level of protection you are asking for is built into Jira which is labeled as a project. Does it really matter if your issue key is called CRM-1234 or Loan-1235 verses (proj-1234 and proj-1235) Look at the list of 'projects' that Atlassian defines:

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#all

Many of these projects are used across multiple products. Use Jira's concept of a project to meet your needs.

One of the few nice things about the new boards, they do work across projects. There are multiple reasons why the boards work across projects and your type of requirements is one of them.

You could even have a third project that mananagement uses that combines the two other projects for their planning purposes which they only see.

So, given the information in your question, a solution is possible with Jira OnDemand.

0 votes

I tried with adding security level field in issues. But would like to see based on Component field

0 votes
Maxim Abramovich October 29, 2012

Yes, use two security level ans write post-function, wich set level according selected component.

Michelle Gronwold August 27, 2020

How would you do this?

Suggest an answer