Ability to edit a subtask when status changes for parent task?

Jennifer Blanco December 3, 2021

I'm playing with the transition screens and would like to use it to prompt work on a subtask when a parent task has a status change (e.g. Started). I see the transition screen works for the same task--is there any way to create a screen to edit a subtask?

ex. task-01> status change : Started> opens a screen of existing subtask of task-01. Thanks in advance!

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2021

Hi @Jennifer Blanco 

You need to use Automation to do that. 

• Trigger the rule from parent issue is transitioned
  • Use branch rule to fetch that parent's sub tasks
  • Use Edit issue fields action, where you will find an option to copy field values from parent

I recently covered exactly this in this video. As @Chris Buzon mentioned transition screens are applicable on the issue, so automation is your option here.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Alessandra Puglisi May 19, 2023

Thank you! Great video too!!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2021

Not that I know of, those transition screens are just for the ticket you're working on - the ticket  being transitioned.

You can, however, use Jira automation to edit the subtasks (there are many ways to do that), but you will have to 'hard code' what happens, like sending a slack message about the subtasks, or editing a field value with a specific value (smart values are very powerful here).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events