AWS-Quickstart to run Jira Data Center

Ulrich Hobelmann [catworkx]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

What does one have to do these days to get a Jira DC running on AWS (especially the flavor with an existing dataset of 1M issues)? I tried the "AWS Quick Start for Jira Data Center" several times, but every time it fails with a (different) error message and rolls back.

The last error was something like: could not create "BastionHost", but it never really says why its creation attempts fail.

Of course, it would be much much much easier to just install locally, but for the DC Apps Approval process we're supposed to run comparable instances and it explicitly mentions AWS. AFAIK the "dc-app-performance-toolkit" also seems to require AWS.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2020

Solution seems to be: Try several times until it works.

Performance and reliability also seems extremely dependent on time of day.

Yesterday in the morning (US eastern time) a reindex took two hours and failed with an error.

Right now (night in US eastern time), the reindex took 37 minutes.

My hunch is that you should probably avoid AWS when other people use it (or get something different from a c5.4xlarge instance; I'm not familiar with details or performance guarantees).

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

Hi @Ulrich Hobelmann [catworkx] 

Can you confirm that you have selected the correct region? 

Supported AWS regions

Not all regions offer the services required to run Jira.  You'll need to choose a region that supports Amazon Elastic File System (EFS). These regions are:

• Americas
    • Northern Virginia
    • Ohio
    • Oregon
    • Northern California
    • Montreal
  • Europe/Middle East/Africa
    • Ireland
    • Frankfurt
    • London
    • Paris
  • Asia Pacific
    • Singapore
    • Tokyo
    • Sydney
    • Seoul
    • Mumbai

For more information :

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2020

Yes, I selected North Virginia explicitly because of the EFS requirements.

But thanks for the links, I'll check them out, in case I missed something else.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2020

This time it could not start the JiraDCStack, because "AWS was not able to validate the provided access credentials (Service: AmazonAutoScaling;...)" (and this aborts the ClusterNodeGroup, which aborts the rest of everything).

Is that something I have to enable globally somewhere (what Google gave me didn't look like it, but I'm not an AWS expert)? To start the template, I explicitly had to tick the checkbox to allow Autoscaling, so I thought that was it.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2020

Interesting, now it seems like it worked. So it's just a bit non-deterministic.

YUVARAJ KUNDASI January 27, 2021

@Ulrich Hobelmann [catworkx]  How did you fix it. 

Suggest an answer