API Board mgt

Guillain February 25, 2021

Hi,

I play with autonomous system to create project and onboard users (Jira server 8.13.2).

I discovered when you create a project a board is created automatically.

Interesting things (or strange things, to depend of the point view) the API user who makes the project creation request is automatically administrator of the board (?).

Additionally I don't find a way, with the API, to manage the board:

• for deletion: as the issue type scheme, when we delete a project we must have a dedicated process to clean many assets
  • for user perm: to remove this administrator privilege set on the bot who performs the request of creation

Question: someone knows how to manage properly the board with API?

Thanks in advance for your support and take care :D!

1 answer

0 votes
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2021

Hi Guillian, 

Not answering your question directly, but can I challenge your process?

It looks like you want to create a project and then after creating the project, automatically change/delete some configurations and add others. Can I ask, is it possible you create a project with shared settings?

So you create a default template project, with all your desired workflows, issue types, boards (or no boards) etc, then you copy the project, based on endpoint:

/rest/project-templates/1.0/createshared/{{projectid}}

Would that work for you?

JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2021
Guillain February 28, 2021

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your support and no issue to challenge my process :)

Interesting proposal that I must try but I don't understand well how it can solve my issues.

In fact each new project is independent of the others (so dedicated Issue Type Scheme, Lead, sometime they need Board so with a specific admin) and I presume when I will order a new project through the template with a Board, the Board will still have the creator as owner, no?
If a create a template without the Board that means I must also open and manage a new request type (ITSM) to allow customer to request a Board when currently they have it by default (plus the number of template to manage).
When the project will be over, I'll have the same problem with the capacity to delete  the project only and not the Board.

In complement and because I've a full CI/CD pipeline to valid and deploy the automation with an high quality (yes it happens ^^), after the run of the functional tests I let you imagine the number of shadow ressources not used (and I've not the capacity today to deploy a new instance for each pipeline execution). 

Do I made mistake in the analysis? Do not hesitate to correct me and Thanks once again to help me :D

Have a great day and take care.

Like JimmyVanAU likes this
JimmyVanAU
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2021

Great to hear you've streamlined admin of the app :) This makes more sense.

After a little digging, I found the Jira Agile/Jira Software REST API documentation, separate to the standard Jira API documentation.

To delete a board, try

DELETE /rest/agile/1.0/board/{boardId}

This is from https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-software/REST/8.13.1/ (8.13.1 should be changed to the version you're running for strict correctness, but the APIs for board management have not changed in a while).

I can't see any API to manage users. There an old JAC requests for the GET endpoint -- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-13011 - and given there's no GET, I'm doubtful there is a POST/PUT to manage user permissions on the board.

Cheers, Jimmy

Suggest an answer