A workflow creates an issue. Can I automatically get it into a sprint board under To-Do?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2023

To clarify, a workflow creates an issue in another workflow, and my manager would like that issue to appear in the To-Do (first) column of a sprint board, instead of a Backlog.  I read a post from February that says no, but I also didn't understand all the why's and wherefore's, so I'm posting my own version of the question.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Hello @Phil Bustin 

What do you mean exactly by "a workflow create an issue in another workflow"? Are you referring to a Jira Workflow? Do you mean that there is something in a Transition within a Jira Workflow that initiates creation of an issue? Can you show us a screen image of that for clarification?

Are you working with issues in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

To get an issue to show in the first column of a board displaying active sprints, the issue will have to be assigned to an Active Sprint and in a status that maps to the first column. The issue will also have to be within the scope of the issue Filter Query for that board.

It is possible to automatically assign issues to sprints, but we need a better understanding of your scenario to provide more specific advice.

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2023

Thank you.  The project is company-managed.  A JSM automation (see below) clones an issue to the project.  The cloned issue's workflow is in Jira Software.  The new issue's status has the property "To-Do". 

The Filter Query is:

Filter query 5-2-23.jpg

Automation clone action:

Automation 5-2-23.jpg  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

Is it only the issues from the above automation that you want automatically added to the Active Sprint?

Does the Scrum Board have more than one active sprint at a time?

In the Clone action you can choose to set the Sprint field for the new issue. You will be allowed to select the "Active Sprint" or "Next Sprint" for a specific board.

I have not discerned how it chooses which sprint if there is more than one Active sprint. In my case the issue went into the Active Sprint that had the oldest Start date/time.

Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 9.17.19 AM.png

Suggest an answer