A way to pre-populate fields on the "Create Issue" page?

I'm using this as a guide:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/creating-issues-via-direct-html-links-159474.html

But can not get the customfield_XXXXX to work; the resulting "Epic Link" field on the page always remains blank.

I've examined the source of my HTML, and found XXXXX to be 10008, so I'm using the following:

/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=10000&issuetype=10001&customfield_10008=<value from my drop down>

The first two values are pre-populating the page fine, but the Epic Link field still remains unselected.  Perhaps I'm using the wrong 'value'?  How do I know what to use for this value?

1 answer

I would manually set the value on a ticket, then look at the change history and pull the ID from there.

Thanks for the reply!  Working on that now.

I went to a couple tickets which had this in their change history, and found a couple IDs:

SIO-7 [ 10006 ]

SIO-4 [ 10003 ]

And tried modifying my post:

&customfield_10008=10006

&customfield_10008=10003

But neither caused the page to auto-populate those values.  Instead, I still have an empty value in the Epic Link field.

The format is "key:WBD-1"

So I should not use the '&customfield_10008' and instead use:

&'customfield_10008:SIO-7' ?

This did not work either.

/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=10000&issuetype=10001&customfield_10008=key:SIO-7

Just tried:

?pid=10000&issuetype=10001&customfield_10008=key:SIO-7

But still no value.  I also tried SIO-4, which is another valid value, but no value pre-populated the drop down.

Hmm you're right, I tried it and I can't get the field to populate.  I was just looking at the data format in which the value was being posted during issue creation or update.

You may need to use something a bit trickier like setting the value in a label and having an automation task fix it for you.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Mar 28, 2018 in Jira Software

Can a company’s culture make or break agile adoption?

Can a new-to-agile team survive and thrive in a non-agile culture? If so, what advice would you give to those trying to be agile in a non-agile culture? What's the key(s) to success? Share your thoug...

12,264 views 15 13
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you