A way to pre-populate fields on the "Create Issue" page?

Joseph Spenner December 15, 2017

I'm using this as a guide:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/creating-issues-via-direct-html-links-159474.html

But can not get the customfield_XXXXX to work; the resulting "Epic Link" field on the page always remains blank.

I've examined the source of my HTML, and found XXXXX to be 10008, so I'm using the following:

/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=10000&issuetype=10001&customfield_10008=<value from my drop down>

The first two values are pre-populating the page fine, but the Epic Link field still remains unselected.  Perhaps I'm using the wrong 'value'?  How do I know what to use for this value?

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2017

I would manually set the value on a ticket, then look at the change history and pull the ID from there.

Thanks for the reply!  Working on that now.

I went to a couple tickets which had this in their change history, and found a couple IDs:

SIO-7 [ 10006 ]

SIO-4 [ 10003 ]

And tried modifying my post:

&customfield_10008=10006

&customfield_10008=10003

But neither caused the page to auto-populate those values.  Instead, I still have an empty value in the Epic Link field.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2017

The format is "key:WBD-1"

So I should not use the '&customfield_10008' and instead use:

&'customfield_10008:SIO-7' ?

This did not work either.

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2017

/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=10000&issuetype=10001&customfield_10008=key:SIO-7

Just tried:

?pid=10000&issuetype=10001&customfield_10008=key:SIO-7

But still no value.  I also tried SIO-4, which is another valid value, but no value pre-populated the drop down.

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2017

Hmm you're right, I tried it and I can't get the field to populate.  I was just looking at the data format in which the value was being posted during issue creation or update.

You may need to use something a bit trickier like setting the value in a label and having an automation task fix it for you.

Suggest an answer