A bug when closing a sprint and moving not done items to selected sprint

Michal H April 11, 2023

We face an issue from a few weeks(jira software datacenter). We have an active sprint (e.g. Sprint23) and a few future sprints created in a backlog (e.g. Sprint24, Sprint25). When we close the sprint we want to move not done items to another sprint (e.g Sprint24). We select that sprint during current sprint closure. What is suprising some of not finished items in the sprint (Sprint23) are moved to selected sprint (Sprint24) but also some of not finished items are not moved to Sprint24 (the field sprint is not updated for them). It was a few times what happened when we were closing Sprint(n) and moving not finished items to Sprint(n+1) and some not finished items were moved and some not.

Do you have any idea what could be the reason and how to fix that?

Is it a bug on jira side, have you ever experience that?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For an issue to move into the next sprint when the current sprint, it must not be in the last column on the board.  Is that how you are defining "finished"?

Also note that all of it's sub-tasks, if it have any, also have to be on the board and also in the last column, for an issue to be "done"

Michal H April 12, 2023

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  thanks, it is nice to be here, thanks for reply.

Just to clarify.
I don t want to move items finished in sprint, I want to move items not finished(open)
I mean items that are not in the last column, which means that are not done - still open during sprint closure.

For those items when closing sprint there is a message "Move open issues to" and options 'backlog', 'new sprint', and also a list of all created sprints in the backlog.

From that list we select existing not started yet sprint. All open items from closing sprint (items not in last column) should be moved to that sprint. It happens for 75% of open items. 25% of open items from closing sprint don t have field sprint edited automatically - they are not moved to the new sprint as it should be done.

I am pasting screenshots, please ignore number of items, it is just to show the feature where we experience that.

Really no idea why. Do you have any thoughts, thanks in advance.

sprint1.PNGsprint2.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2023

So how are you defining open and closed (where are the issues when you close the sprint)?

Michal H April 12, 2023

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- thanks for looking into that topic, really appreciate that.

I define that the same as everyone I believe: closed or finished - in last column during sprint closure (let s call it group A). Not closed, open - not in the last column when closing the sprint (let s call it group B)

The point is that my question concerns only group B and is not related to group A at all. I select the option to move open items to the selected sprint when closing sprint (please see screenshots). Some items from group B are moved to that sprint (the field sprint is updated for them - group B1) and some items from group B are not moved to the selected sprint (field sprint doesn t change for them - is not updated - group B2)

This looks like a bug. Especially items from B1 and B2 do have the same config - the same issuetype, project and status.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2023

Thanks for explaining!  The usual reason people ask about things (not) moving to the next sprint is that they have not quite understood how Scrum works and hence don't  understand (translate?) that the last column is "done", so I had to check.

So, the next question is what is the difference between an issue that does go to the next sprint and one that does not?

Michal H April 13, 2023

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

That is the point - I do not see any differences. I mean there are many different issuetypes, but in B1 and B2 we can find twin items, like TASK issuetype in IN PROGRESS status from DEV project - one in B1, another one in B2. I started investigating whether time logged or duedate field can impact that, but nope, it is not a blocker.

Would be good to know if in jira there is something that may filter open items during movement to a new sprint, for now for me it looks like a bug.

BTW last 7 years we always avoided creating tickets in community, always when something confusing happened we found the answer, it is my first one :)

Also nice to speak with you, appreciate your help for the community!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2023

Nope, the only thing Jira looks at when you close a sprint is which column an issue (and all its subtasks) are in.

If the status looks to be correct on both issues and their subtasks (and please check that by looking at the issue view, not a search, report, or board), then the only explanation is that you've got something configured in your Jira that is corrupting the the index.  Do you have any scripts or apps that try to automate any issue changes?

Michal H April 21, 2023

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

We do not have any scripts or apps - maybe big picture, but I don t see any correlation with that in not moved items.

Regarding subtasks also most of items don t have that, so  it is not a reason.

Initially I thought that maybe it was because of reindex if it was performed some time ago. We decided to reindex jira one day before the end of current sprint.

Another thing that I consider is the number of items (almost 200 that are not finished in sprint, about 10-20% of them are not moved to next one, most of them are moved to next one) - may this have any impact?

cheers 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

The number of items shouldn't matter.

The only thing Jira looks at for "carry over to new sprint" is whether the issue is "done" or not.  ("Done" being represented by the issue, and all its sub-tasks, being in the last column of the board the sprint was created in).

That's why I've questioned the indexing and asked to look at the issue's view - a corrupted index can misrepresent what column the issue is in, even when it looks ok on the board.  Searches and reports might not work properly when there is a broken index record, but the issue view always reads the database, so that's the first place to look.

I think we probably need to see screenshots of issues that do and do not move over to the next sprint, as well as the definition of your board filter and what the last column looks like in your board (the mapping of status)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events