404 Not found with Jira Cloud REST API

Rodion Nikolaev November 29, 2020

When I use the Jira Cloud API in some responses receive "404 status". In most cases, I receive the correct data, but, from time to time I get an error for the same request data.

11:16:03.452 [Information] "GET" "//ex/jira/XXX-XXX-XXX/rest/api/3/issue/10797/worklog?expand=properties" "{"startAt":0,"maxResults":1048576,"total":1,"worklogs":[{"self":"https://api.atlassian.com/ex/jira/7.....  OK

11:19:02.552 [Error] "GET" "//ex/jira/XXX-XXX-XXX/rest/api/3/issue/10797/worklog?expand=properties" "{"timestamp":"2020-11-29T16:19:02.493Z","status":404,"error":"Not Found","message":"No message avail..   ERROR

11:21:02.318 [Information] "GET" "//ex/jira/XXX-XXX-XXX/rest/api/3/issue/10797/worklog?expand=properties" "{"startAt":0,"maxResults":1048576,"total":1,"worklogs .. OK

Could you get any reasons for this problem?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2020

Hi Rodion,

I understand that you are making this same REST API call, but that at least once you got back a 404 error here.  It appears that you are using OAuth 2 in order to authorize here.  I only mention it because it appears that your calls are going to the api.atlassian.com address and then using the /ex/jira/{jirainstanceid}/ format instead of calling the Jira Cloud site directly by its unique Cloud URL.

I don't believe that using OAuth 2.0 here is the cause of the problem, but it's something I wanted to point out because I don't see as many OAuth integrations when using REST.  It might be a factor here in some way.

From the endpoint documentation of GET /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/worklog, a 404 error is returned when

Returned if:

• the issue is not found or the user does not have permission to view the issue.
  • startAt or maxResults has non-numeric values.
  • time tracking is disabled.

So I could see a scenario where either time tracking was temporarily disabled, or perhaps there was some other change to the issues permissions such as a security scheme applied or your own accounts changing roles/group memberships that could in theory generate a 404 for this call at that specific time.

However it's not clear to me if any of that has happened for that issue, or for your account making these calls.

I am curious to know more here.  How often is this happening for you?

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events