2 Questions (Blocking Condition and Sub-Tasks tied to Fix Versions)

Bill Fox April 2, 2019
  • Re Blocking Condition, I've added this Condition into our workflow, pre-Done (when there's an open Sub Task) but I still see Stories closed prior to all child Sub-Tasks being closed.  Would be great to have someone walk me through this via the schema in real time (as I've read all the discussion posts on this topic but have come away more confused).  Also,
  • Sub tasks tied to Fix Versions: I'm finding that, if a Story is created and tied to a Version, it's child tasks are not, unless done so manually.  This can present problems via Reporting, since Sub Tasks can carry hour estimates, but, if filtering for Version, this data can be missed.  Can our schema support marrying the two, if/when a parent is linked to a Version?

Thanks,

Bill

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Fox April 10, 2019

Petterson, to be clear, the condition related to the Sub Task Blocking condition should be Done (as opposed to In Progress), since we're discussing the ability to Close a Story (if Sub Tasks are Complete), correct?  Just want to verify that I shouldn't be doing this for In Progress...

Also curious if I should delete the Transition that states that "All states can transition into done", if, in fact, this prevents the Blocking Condition from working correctly.

Thanks!

Bill Fox April 10, 2019

Petterson, to be clear, the condition related to the Sub Task Blocking condition should be Done (as opposed to In Progress), since we're discussing the ability to Close a Story (if Sub Tasks are Complete), correct?  Just want to verify that I shouldn't be doing this for In Progress...

Also curious if I should delete the Transition that states that "All states can transition into done", if, in fact, this prevents the Blocking Condition from working correctly.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2019

Hello Bill,

If you want to prevent stories from being closed before its sub-tasks, you should add the condition in the transition that leads to the status Done in the Story workflow.

About the transition "All states can transition into done", is completely up to you if you will use it or not, however, if you keep it, you will need to add the condition for this transition too in order to ensure the condition will be applied to all your Stories.

Let me know if this information helps.

Bill Fox April 15, 2019

Petterson, still no luck ( I've left the blocking condition for Done but, per your guidance also added to In Progress (gate).  I can remove from Done but even with the new transition, I'm still able to close Stories with open sub-tasks:

Also, please see the screen-shot of the diagram as the problem may be inherent to the (default) flow for this schema... 

Capture.PNG

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 16, 2019

Hello Bill, 

Thank you for the screenshot.

Could you please confirm if the transition all -> Done also have the Blocking condition? As mentioned before, you will need to configure the condition on all transitions that go to Done to make sure it will be applied.

Additionally, could you please provide us a screenshot of how you configured the transition? To be more specific, the screenshot of the condition configuration:

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 11.37.07.png

Bill Fox April 16, 2019

Petterson, I'm not sure how to get to the "Add Parameters to Condition" function, but I've attached another shot showing all transitions.Workflow.PNG

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2019

Hello Bill,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Can you confirm if you are using JIRA Server or Cloud? 

1 - Checking the Sub-Task Blocking Condition on my personal Cloud instance, I was able to make it properly work. That been said, please follow the steps below just to ensure the condition is been configured in a proper way:

- Navigate to your Project > Project Settings > Workflows > Click to Edit the workflow, making sure you are editing the correspondent workflow to the correct issue type

- On the Diagram view, click in the condition which leads to your Closed status

- Configure the Sub-Task Blocking Condition selecting the status which the sub-task should have to allow the parent issue to transition

- Publish your workflow draft:

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 11.31.02.png

- When you test the condition, make sure the issue type you are using is related to the workflow you edited

2 - I'm afraid JIRA does not have a functionality to add a version to all sub-tasks when a parent issue is added with it.

The only way to add a version to all sub-tasks when editing the parent issue would be by using a plugin like Automation for JIRA, where you can create a simple rule like the one below:

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 11.48.01.png

The mentioned plugin above have 300 free executions per month, so you will not have any costs if you add less than 300 issues with a version.

Let me know if this information helps.

Bill Fox April 4, 2019

Thanks, will give it a shot.  Also, we're on our own Jira server.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2019

You are welcome, Bill.

Let us know if the option above works for you. By the way, here's the link to Automation for JIRA plugin Server version:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211836/automation-lite-for-jira

Suggest an answer