Multiple teams, multiple versions, single project: version report

Michael Badgett August 1, 2018

I have about 6 teams all using one single project in JIRA. They each have their own scrum board with unique filters, and it's going swimmingly. We've had our ups and downs but it's sort of working at this point. Recently, someone got the idea to have each team create a unique version to track their progress towards a milestone. My list of open versions on this shared project now looks something like this...

ThetaTeam_Nov152018
OmegaTeam_Nov152018
KappaTeam_Nov152018

This means that I have 3 unique versions all tracking simultaneously with a similar start date and identical end date.

So now I go to the version report and select a version to see how things are looking and this brings up my question...

How is velocity calculated in this report? Is it calculated project-wide? Does it magically know to use the velocity of the board listed? If I operate in this manner, will the version reports be directionally correct?

I am on JIRA Server 7.1.4

1 answer

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2023

Hi @Michael Badgett,

The best way to track this is to have dashboards with the appropriate gadgets (burndown, velocity chart, CFD, etc) for each team + one dashboard for the entire project / release that aggregates the data of all team.  

With our Great Gadgets app you can create such dashboards. 

See these articles:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/How-to-track-scaled-agile-SAFe-projects-in-Jira-with-Great/ba-p/1929694

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Creating-a-cross-teams-release-burndown-chart-in-Jira-with-Great/ba-p/1803421

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at support@stonikbyte.com.

Thank you,

Danut M.

Suggest an answer