How to obtain the monthly hours of a task that had different amount of hours recorded during several

mateus.santos November 20, 2020

I am having a very big problem to be able to stretch the hours by a jira employee. When I extract by the report itself, manually placing the dates (in the calendar fields), with the name of the project and clicking 'generate report', it is visible that the time entry is correct. Now if I try to do the same through JQL search or by integrating Jira with Python, the hours that are returned are always the total sum of each task. That is, if I have a task that started in August and is active until now, (November) so that several hours have been pointed out at different times since then (5 hours in August, 10 hours in September, etc), I am unable to obtain the data for the hours separated by the specific month (from the same task). If I search in JQL for the August tasks, all hours already cataloged after August in the tasks that were created that month will be returned in that search (which should not be, since only the hours cataloged in August should be returned).

How can I solve this?

1 answer

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

Hello @mateus.santos 

Welcome to the community.

Are you using the Work Logging feature that is built in to JIRA Cloud, or have you added a third party application, like Tempo?

JIRA Cloud does not provide much out of the box for reporting on Work/Time logged. We have opted to use a third-party app that is relatively inexpensive:

Worklogs - Time Tracking and Reporting 

We only need to display the time reports within JIRA, though. We don't need to export it to a file. If that is a requirement for you, I don't think this app meets your needs. If it is enough to display the data in a Dashboard in JIRA, then this app should be sufficient.

You would set up a saved filter to get issues where the worklogDate (date for which work was logged) is within the date range you want to report on. Then create a dashboard with the Worklogs gadget. Set the Project/Filter to the saved filter you created, Period Grouping to Month and Categorize By to "None (issues)". That will give you a list of issues with time logged in your time frame, summarizing the time logged per month.

Suggest an answer