Docker atlassian/jira-software can not be upgraded from 8.20.6 to 8.21+

zoltan_zvara June 29, 2022

I started Jira with the following `docker` command:

```

docker run -d -e JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=6144m -e JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=6144m -e JVM_RESERVED_CODE_CACHE_SIZE=2048m -e ATL_PROXY_NAME="jira.example.com" -e ATL_PROXY_PORT="443" -e ATL_TOMCAT_SCHEME="https" -e ATL_TOMCAT_SECURE="true" --name jira.atlassian.sys.alpha --hostname jira.atlassian.sys.alpha --network-alias jira.atlassian.sys.alpha --network system --volume jira.atlassian.system:/var/atlassian/application-data/jira atlassian/jira-software:8.20.6

```

In order to upgrade this installation, I did the following:

`docker rm -f jira.atlassian.sys.alpha` then

```

docker run -d -e RUN_GROUP=root -e RUN_UID=0 -e RUN_USER=root -e JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=6144m -e JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=6144m -e JVM_RESERVED_CODE_CACHE_SIZE=2048m -e ATL_PROXY_NAME="jira.example.com" -e ATL_PROXY_PORT="443" -e ATL_TOMCAT_SCHEME="https" -e ATL_TOMCAT_SECURE="true" --name jira.atlassian.sys.alpha --hostname jira.atlassian.sys.alpha --network-alias jira.atlassian.sys.alpha --network system --volume jira.atlassian.system:/var/atlassian/application-data/jira atlassian/jira-software:8.22.4

```

The only change is the version from 8.20.6 to 8.22.4.

The error is the following:

```

INFO:root:Generating /etc/container_id from template container_id.j2
INFO:root:Generating /opt/atlassian/jira/conf/server.xml from template server.xml.j2
INFO:root:Generating /opt/atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/seraph-config.xml from template seraph-config.xml.j2
INFO:root:/var/atlassian/application-data/jira/dbconfig.xml exists; skipping.
INFO:root:User is currently root. Will downgrade run user to root
INFO:root:Running Jira with command '/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/start-jira.sh', arguments ['/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/start-jira.sh', '-fg']
executing as current user
Cannot find /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/setclasspath.sh
This file is needed to run this program

```

The above error is present even if I change `RUN_USER=root`, `RUN_GROUP=root` or `RUN_PID=0`. Checking the contents of the image I can see that the `/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/setclasspath.sh` is there.

This issue is critical to us because we can not upgrade as advised because of a vulnerability.

14 answers

2 votes
zoltan_zvara July 2, 2022

I upgraded from `docker-ce` 18.06.X on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to `docker-ce` 20.10.X and then it worked. It was a Docker or `containerd` issue.

1 vote
Thiago Masutti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 4, 2022

As some mentioned on the thread, please update the Docker Engine to the latest version.

You may find more details on https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/running-atlassian-products-on-docker-might-fail-during-startup-because-of-docker-engine-version-1141492018.html

Kind regards,
Thiago Masutti

1 vote
Benjamin Dombrowsky June 30, 2022

Hi,

in my case it was obviously related to an old Docker version. I updated docker and the image/jira is now running.

BR
Benjamin

1 vote
Benjamin Dombrowsky June 30, 2022

Hi,

I think there is a general problem with the newest docker image(s).

I'm getting the error with both Jira and Confluence in the latest Docker Image version.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution at the moment.

BR
Benjamin

0 votes
Juan Ramón Alonso
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2022

A good practice before upgrading is always first take look at the docs, just in case something has changed. Just go to https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software and you will see that now docker engine >= 20.10.9 is required. As mentioned above, that will resolve the issue. 

0 votes
Arthur
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2022

Thanks, that also solved the problem for us:)

0 votes
Lars Ackermann July 3, 2022

Just went through the upgrade procedure in our environment. Indeed after getting Docker 20.10, it worked. Thx for the hint!

0 votes
zoltan_zvara July 2, 2022

Try updating the Docker engine, it worked for a few users.

0 votes
Lars Ackermann July 1, 2022

Same for me: setclasspath.sh is inside the container, r-x access rights set but cannot be found/used during startup. 

Please correct the latest docker images, our Jira/Confluence is down after trying to upgrade for the sake of the latest security advice.

0 votes
zoltan_zvara July 1, 2022

Which Docker did you have?

0 votes
Benjamin Dombrowsky July 1, 2022

Yes, I've the same behaviour in different systems. For me a docker update resolved this issue. 

0 votes
Daniel Hilgarth July 1, 2022

Helped me as well

0 votes
Arthur
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2022

Having the same problem since today. But we didnt even change the docker images. We just restartet the containers and then got these errors.

Suggest an answer