Behavior of Task Issue Type has Changed?

Stephanie High April 22, 2021

We have noticed in the past week or so that a Task no longer seems to be able to live hierarchically underneath a Story. Previously we could add a Task or Sub-task to a story, now the only option is to add a Sub-task. We have not changed any configurations in the time since this has started.

A Task can still be created via the Create button, but it cannot be added as a child to a Story, no matter the method you try. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I'd love to understand why this may have changed.

5 answers

3 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Hi Stephanie,

I am not aware of a task ever being able to live as a child under a story - at least in out of the box Jira. They are created at the same level. 

Have you been using a third party add-on? 

1 vote
Stephanie High April 22, 2021

Hello! I appreciate your quick response. 

This is occurring on a Company managed project.

I have tried in several browsers with the same behavior.

In the screenshot below, at step 2, there used to be a dropdown that let you select Sub-task or Task. That option no longer appears, the only option is to add a subtask.

Jira Tasks.png

As a work around, we tried adding a sub-task, then converting to a Task and it immediately lost it's Parent story.

0 votes
Stephanie High May 10, 2021

Following back up on this discussion item I started... this is an "old issue view" versus "new issue view" thing. If you switch to "old issue view", you can still add a task to an Epic, the feature just doesn't seem to be available in the "new issue view". Hopefully that is something that will be coming before the "old issue view" goes away permanently.

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Thank you for sharing the screen shot. This looks strange to me too! Let's wait for more answerer's who might have found a cause or solution or steps for this behavior.

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

Hi @Stephanie High welcome to the Atlassian community.

May I know if you are observing this behavior in "Team managed" or "company managed" version?

Have you tried logging into Jira from other browsers and observed?

Suggest an answer