Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Why can’t I close or start a sprint?

Hello,

Are you facing an issue where you are not able to start or close a sprint in a Jira Software project?

This article will explain to you some of the common reasons why you may be facing this issue and how to resolve them. 

Please note that the 'Manage Sprints' permission in Jira Software allows users to perform the actions like starting or completing sprints.

If you are not able to start or complete a sprint, the most prominent reason for this can be - You don't have the right permissions.

You must have the 'Manage Sprints' permission in all the projects returned by the filter query applied to the board from which your sprint originates.

Steps to check if you have the appropriate permissions:

1. Check the filter query for the board (let's call it “Board A”) from which your sprint originates- check which projects are included in the filter query.
  2. For each project included in the filter query, check if you have the Manage Sprints permission. If you do not have the permission, add the permission.
  3. If the issue is still not resolved, it's possible that your sprint is not originating from the board “Board A” but is originating from a different board. In order to handle such a case, you need to find the board from which your sprint is originating and then repeat Steps 1 and 2 for the corresponding board.

Here is the link to video explaining the above steps: https://youtu.be/BJCulFzOGVI

8 comments

Hi @Deepanshu Natani 

Thank you for the information.  At the end of your article, you note a video explaining/demonstrating your steps, however that link appears to be missing.

Best regards,
Bill

Like Deepanshu Natani likes this

@Bill SheboyThanks for pointing out the missing link. I have updated the link.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Thanks for this valuable information.

Thanks @Deepanshu Natani The 3rd point was crucial in this for me to figure out this issue

• Thanks @Deepanshu Natani for providing with this information.
  • Great article.Keep it up.

Thanks, Deepanshu for sharing this, it's very helpful. The complete sprint option works only if I am working on one sprint. The moment I have more than one sprint running in parallel, the complete sprint option remains disabled (even after all the stories are in the done status). Is this a bug?

(I also posted the above comment/question on your youtube video)

@Ashwin Singh 

If you are running parallel sprints, then in order to complete a sprint,

• You need to select which sprint to close on the Active Sprints board.
  • Normally "All sprints" option is selected by default in that dropdown and in that case, the complete sprint option will be disabled.
  • Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 12.32.04 PM.png
  • Once you select the sprint which you want to close, the "Complete Sprint" option will be enabled.
  • Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 12.32.16 PM.png
Like Ashwin Singh likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,786 views 37 48
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you