Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

227 comments

jjarrett May 26, 2022

When will we get more colors for Epics per JSWCLOUD-16051?  This is such a basic / small ask from customers and it's been open for half a decade now. 

Like • Jan Sebek likes this
Orrin Ward May 27, 2022

I suspect there might be a bug in this migration process.

My teams have reported that Zombie Epics have started to surface in their backlogs in the last week or so.

1. It looks like the value for Epic Status has stayed as it was (value set to Done)
  2. Someone in our team has added some statuses (good old fashioned statuses for workflows) in this time
  3. Somehow, those statuses have been appended to the array of values for Epic Status
  4. This has triggered all the Epics, still with Epic Status set to Done, to resurface in the backlog Epics panel, and giving the user the option to Mark as Done to remove the Epic from the backlog. It appears now that Mark as Done changes the Epic Status to the last value in the array of available values for Epic Status

I'm a Site Admin for our Jira instance and our audit log doesn't show any configuration change to Epic Status, and I do not have the ability to revert the configuration of the statuses back to the simple trio of To do, In progress and Done.

bmccarthy May 27, 2022

I always found two fields: Epic Name and Summary very useful.   We use Jira Advanced Roadmaps to share/coordinate our work across the organization.  It is nice to have a long/more descriptive Epic Summary to show here.  But for team use, on Epics Panel, it's better to have a short/crisp Epic Name which makes the board cleaner.  :(  

Like • # people like this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2022

@Craeg Strong yes that's right, we are aiming to support customers implementing a SAFe issue hierarchy. We also want customers to use the taxonomy that works for them whatever framework that may be, we've found there's a lot of value in this for non-technical teams as well. You can see more here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/ba-p/1874726

@Zannah Palmer you've spotted a little error in our prototype! Epics won't be renamed as part of this release. However, if customers want to rename Epic, they'll be able to with a separate upcoming release https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/ba-p/1874726

Thanks for your feature suggestions @Karlon Auger and @Walter Buggenhout we'll keep these in mind when we prioritise our future projects to improve Jira.

Like • James Chan likes this
Andrea Nelson May 30, 2022

While you work on the epics displaying options, is there a way to align these two "Epic status views"?
I find it confusing that they differ so much.

A) In the backlog epic panel I usually see this view, telling me "100% of estimated work done (5 of 5 Story Points)":image.png
Why is it blue colored if its "Done" (and not green)?

B) When I look at the same epic in the "View Epic details"  view, it looks like that (below).
I can see that there are 10 issues in this epic, 3 are in Done, 1 in Progress, and the remaining 6 have not been started yet or are still in "To do", etc.

image.png

The lower view contains much more relevant details and I´d like this view to be displayed in the Backlog epic panel instead of the upper one. 

Thanks for cour consideration!

Daniel Da Silva June 16, 2022

How does that work for Jira next-gen projects?

GregPearson June 16, 2022

@Rohan Swami1 My teams are definitely excited for changes in this space, but I have a few questions as we plan for them- specifically around the epic name -> issue summary change. The lack of distinction between the purpose of the two fields causes confusion but many of my teams have made the best of it and now have distinct reasons for what they put in the epic name and the issue summary fields.

1) Do we have any option to not take this particular change?

2) Would we be able to add, through board settings, the epic name as an additional field on the card layout for the active board and backlog views after the issue summary starts appearing in the lozenge? 

3) Is there a user benefit statement I can share with them other than it better aligns company managed and team managed projects? We don't currently use team managed projects.

Thanks!

Brandon Cucka June 16, 2022

What is the character limit for the parent lozenges displayed on issues?

The article answers my question " If you’re updating your issue summaries, keep in mind that the names displayed on the board and backlog have a max character limit (19) "

Bryan Darr June 21, 2022

@Rohan Swami Currently, to link a story to an Epic using Epic Link, you need the project "Edit Issues" permission on the project where the parent Epic resides. Conversely, when linking an Epic to a higher level (e.g. Initiative) using Parent Link, you do not need the project "Edit Issues" permission on the parent. 

Will these changes remove the need for the Edit Issues permission on the epic Parent? This would be helpful for some of our clients, who wish to lock down editing on epics, but still allow teams to link to those epics. 

Thank you!

Guy Anela June 27, 2022

Hi @Rohan Swami - I was testing the Epic status → Issue Status Category changes and I'm noticing that it still displays the Epic in the Backlog EPICS Panel even though the Epic is in a Done status and all of its child tickets are in a Done status. Am I missing something? :) ...is anyone else experiencing this?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2022

Hi All, there were a few questions here about epic-links and parent-links so we've spun up a dedicated page to answer your questions in more detail: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/upcoming-changes-epic-link-replaced-with-parent/

@Guy Anela Please note that these changes haven't rolled out yet.

Guy Anela June 28, 2022

Ah, thanks @Rohan Swami! ...it's been one of those weeks (and it's only Tuesday 🤪).

Like • Rohan Swami likes this
Mark Thompson July 5, 2022

@Rohan Swami - Why can't we comment on https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/upcoming-changes-epic-link-replaced-with-parent/   

I have specific concerns on this change and would rather discuss there.

Like • MollyJo Tighe likes this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 5, 2022

@Mark Thompson we'll get that uploaded as a Community blog shortly as well which will have comment functionality. Please feel free to create a support request as well if you have specific concerns we can help with.

Sylvain Gautier July 25, 2022

I have a problem on my Cloud projects, Epic name is still mandatory for me when I create an Epic

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2022

When is this going to be released.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2022

@Sylvain Gautier @Craig Nodwell we haven't released these changes yet, we'll have more to share in the coming months.

Darrel Jackson September 12, 2022

Really liking this change and a long time coming. Looking forward to it.

Erin Quick-Laughlin January 3, 2023

Hi @Rohan Swami and Happy New Year!   I have a few people asking for updates on timing of the Epic field sunsetting / converting to 'parent' - any new news you can share?

Thanks ahead!

Erin

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2023

Thanks for this @Rohan Swami1  - please advise when this will be rolled out on our instance. I just went to have a look and see that the Epic Name is still used on board labels for instance. I would like to make sure we know when this is rolled out to us. Thank you

Nathan Packard January 5, 2023

@Rohan Swami1 , this feature will be nice. I also would like to know when this will be rolled out for our instance. Thanks.

Like • Ramon SALLA ROVIRA likes this
Coley Anderson January 11, 2023

@Yatish Madhav  @Nathan Packard 

They have it set for Q4 2023 now

Epic Rename Release Update 

Szymon Walkowski January 23, 2023

Hi there!

What is the progress with

Epic name → Issue summary 

?
It was supposed to start be optional since 15th January of 2023. But I find it still required.

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/changelog/#CHANGE-687

Like • Alex Hoogendoorn likes this
Marcel January 31, 2023

Hello Rohan, 2021, 2022 and now 2023 for these changes. In the roadmap these changes are now planned for Q4 2023? Can you update us on the progress?

Like • Yatish Madhav likes this
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2023

Very ready for this, but more excited to see "Epic Link" get shown the door and have all parent-child relationships live in the same field. 

Would love an update on that timing!

Comment