Now, archive issues on Jira Cloud with APIs!

Hello everyone :wave:

I’m excited to announce that issue-level archival via APIs is now available. This feature will allow Premium and Enterprise Jira Cloud customers to archive individual issues without having to archive the entire project. This is part of our ongoing effort to bring your favorite features from Data Center to Cloud.

With this milestone release, admins can use the APIs to:

• archive and unarchive issues.

• download a CSV file with details of archived issues.

Archived issues will no longer show in search results, boards and backlogs. You can still view an archived issue with a direct URL, but you can’t edit the issue.

To learn more, check out the documentation.

Please note that this is just the first phase of our planned roll-out; we plan to build the UI and automation capabilities for issue-level archival soon.

If you have any questions or feedback, please comment below. We appreciate your input as we continue to improve our offerings and provide you with the best possible user experience.

Thank you,
Arbaaz Gowher
Product Manager, Jira Cloud

15 comments

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2023

Hi @Arbaaz Gowher  - this is great. Will this be for Software and/or Service Management Premium and Enterprise Jira Cloud customers? Meaning do we only need on of them (Software or Service Management) to be on Premium and Enterprise? Also any timeline for the UI updates for this? Thank you

Arbaaz Gowher
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2023

Hey @Yatish Madhav to be able to archive an issue, the project it belongs to needs to be on the Premium or Enterprise edition. As for the timelines, keep an eye out for updates to this post or on this ticket!

Rick Westbrock August 14, 2023

I'm glad to see that there is an unarchive API as well, I was going to ask about that but it's right in the documentation.

Diana C August 14, 2023

Hi @Arbaaz Gowher -- Will this feature also be added to Data Center?

Arbaaz Gowher
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2023

Hey @Diana C there already exist APIs to archive issues in Jira DC. See here!

Miguel GONZALEZ ROMERO September 20, 2023

We have tested in Jira Cloud and it works!, we can archive issues using the API.

But once it has been archived, how can I review the details if needed? or how could I see a list of the archived issues?

Miguel

Arbaaz Gowher
Atlassian Team
September 20, 2023

Hey @Miguel GONZALEZ ROMERO it's great to know you tested the APIs and that it's working just fine for you!

To your question, once an issue is archived, you can no longer search for it in Jira unless you search using the issue key directly. And while the ability to list all archived issues in Jira is something we're planning for the next milestone, you can use the Export archived issue(s) API to generate a CSV of all archived issues and then use the issue key to access the issue directly.

I hope this helps!

Jyoti Verma
Atlassian Team
November 14, 2023

Posting on customer's behalf:

If we archive the issues in premium (using API), will they stay archived when we downgrade the plan to standard?

Like Luka Urushadze likes this
Abhay Pujari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 20, 2023

@Arbaaz Gowher Could you please guide me how to use the API as I am unable to find the documentation for the same?

Arbaaz Gowher
Atlassian Team
November 22, 2023

Hi @Jyoti Verma that's correct - if the user downgrades, their previously archived issues will stay archived.

and hello @Abhay Pujari! Here's the link to the documentation: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v2/api-group-issues/#api-rest-api-2-issue-archive-put. Can I request more specifics about what you're looking to achieve?

Abhay Pujari
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 22, 2023

@Arbaaz Gowher I have gone through the document but I am not sure how to do it. Any guidance on how to do it will be helpful as I am new to APIs. We have a Jira board where we want to archive old issues instead of deleting them.

Adam Kassoff December 11, 2023

@Arbaaz Gowher  Please help i have archived several issues in a JSM project but the issues are still showing in the queues for the project. 

Arbaaz Gowher
Atlassian Team
December 18, 2023

Hi @Abhay Pujari here's a tutorial on YouTube on how to use Postman to make API calls.

Hi @Adam Kassoff we tried replicating this and it seems to work fine for us. Can I suggest you raise a request on https://support.atlassian.com/?

Nicolas Le Corno June 24, 2024

Hi,

Any news on that?

Tim Williams
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 26, 2024

Do I have to use Postman to make the call, or can it be done on one line in a browser? I can't see to get it working like this: /rest/api/2/issues/archive/export?projects={KEY}. Calling rest/api/3/project/{KEY} works fine and shows the archived project data, obviously without the required items I would have in this export.

Thanks.

Like John Dunkelberg likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events