Jira with Microsoft Teams how to integrate and boost productivity πŸš€

Tips how you can integrate Jira (and other Atlassian apps) in Microsoft Teams across your company to improve productivity.

With over 300 million monthly active users Microsoft Teams is the hub for daily collaboration for many people. As part of Atlassian's open platform we have apps that help you integrate Atlassian into Microsoft Teams to get work done faster.

Automatically add Jira to Microsoft Teams

The Jira app integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Teams both on mobile and desktop.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 11.33.18 am.png

Admins for Microsoft Teams you can use App Setup policy (docs) to automatically pin Jira to the app bar so it's a one touch experience for users to access and update Jira issues.

More productive meetings

View, comment, update and assign Jira issues all from within a Microsoft Teams meeting. No more switching windows. Have more focused and productive meetings with your team.

Jira-March-2022-Meeting-960x540-1.gif

Use the "Add app" to add Jira to a Teams meeting.

Add app to Teams meeting.png  

Include Jira in team creation with custom templates 

No need to manually add in Jira to a team. With custom templates in Microsoft Teams it can be automatically installed when a user creates a team.

Imagine having a Dev or Finance team with Jira and Confluence automatically added during the creation process.

Teams Template.gif

Follow these Microsoft docs to create your own custom templates with Atlassian apps.

Create a team using the Microsoft Graph APIs

For organisations that want to automatically provision teams you can include Atlassian apps as part of the creation process using Microsoft Graph APIs (source).

What about existing teams and chats?

Scenario: You have existing teams that you want to add apps Jira to. Using the Microsoft Graph you can add Jira automatically using the following APIs:

Add to teams

1. Add app to a team (docs)

2. Add the app to as a tab, such as the General channel (docs)

Add to chat group

Add to personal scope

App IDs (needed for when you run the 'add app' via API):

App ID Teams App Store
Jira Cloud
aa183fd9-7104-46c4-af9f-9ee9b81d717e
Link

Jira Server

6eacb5f0-68b0-46f0-9507-9e906c6861fc
Link

Confluence Cloud

30bb610c-6321-40fe-a047-056e7d0dac96
Link
Opsgenie
6f62d397-8b16-48e9-9fea-1a5193c9fc08
Link
Trello
49e6f432-d79c-49e8-94f7-89b94f3672fd
Link
Atlas
69883cee-eb8c-41c2-9533-7fdb0762e913
Link
Atlassian ChatOps
30ad5de7-5a94-4267-8699-9daa9e18132a
Link
 Assist
33621d49-05e8-47e9-844b-f0d1c43ef5be
Link

14 comments

Jonathan Santos
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2023

Hi @Dominic Williamson  Thanks for share this article. I can tried to create teams to using the Graph ApIs.

Thanks !!

Dominic Williamson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2023

Great, @Jonathan Santos  how'd you go with using the Microsoft Graph APIs to create a team with Atlassian apps?

Here's the sample code used in the video:

Example with Jira & Confluence cloud apps added 

{
    "template@odata.bind": "https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/teamsTemplates('standard')",
    "displayName": "Dev Team",
    "description": "The team of our devs to collaborate and deliver on the roadmap",
    "channels": [
        {
            "displayName": "Dev",
            "isFavoriteByDefault": true,
            "description": "This is a sample training channel, that is favorited by default, and contains an example of pinned website and YouTube tabs.",
            "tabs": [
                {
                    "teamsApp@odata.bind": "https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/appCatalogs/teamsApps/aa183fd9-7104-46c4-af9f-9ee9b81d717e",
                    "displayName": "Jira"
                },
                {
                    "teamsApp@odata.bind": "https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/appCatalogs/teamsApps/30bb610c-6321-40fe-a047-056e7d0dac96",
                    "displayName": "Confluence"
                }
            ]
        }
    ],
    "installedApps": [
        {
            "teamsApp@odata.bind": "https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/appCatalogs/teamsApps/aa183fd9-7104-46c4-af9f-9ee9b81d717e"
        },
        {
            "teamsApp@odata.bind": "https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/appCatalogs/teamsApps/30bb610c-6321-40fe-a047-056e7d0dac96"
        }
    ]
}

The sample code will create a new team called 'Dev Team' with a channel that has both the Jira and Confluence apps automatically installed.

Like β€’ # people like this
Jonathan Santos
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2023

Hi @Dominic Williamson  Thank you very much for sharing this script with me, I am going to try to apply it following the steps you mentioned, I have to request permissions from my company to be able to create teams in Microsoft Temas since I have this permission restricted.

Like β€’ Dominic Williamson likes this
Niraj Patil October 19, 2023

Hi @Dominic Williamson Thank you for this article.Right now, my company is using JIRA and Teams separately and I am thinking for integrating them. So to convince the management team I need some statistics to show that integrating it will save time. Can you point me where I can find it.

Like β€’ Yatish Madhav likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 19, 2023

This is great - thanks @Dominic Williamson 

Dominic Williamson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2023

@Niraj Patil Get you want to better integrate. I'd suggest talking to the benefits of the use cases. You can see examples and details here https://www.atlassian.com/partnerships/microsoft

JoΓ£o Pedro GalvΓ£o de Oliveira October 25, 2023

Hi @Dominic Williamson . Thank you for this incredible article.

Tere Pile January 17, 2024

Can anyone confirm - is Microsoft Teams Integration only for JSM projects?  Specifically looking at Project Settings > Apps > Microsoft Teams Integration  - I can sign in but not select a team or channel. Yes the 'app' is loaded in teams and works properly 

Muthukumar Ravishankar
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2024

Hi @Tere Pile - The ability to send project updates to a channel (thru Microsoft Teams Integrations) is for Jira Software projects.

Your initial steps to sign in through : Project Settings > Apps > Microsoft Teams Integrations, is correct. I believe you are suggesting that you are unable to select a team or channel, because the buttons are disabled? if so, it is because the app will need authorisation of an extra permission (by an MS Teams admin) to get the user's teams and channels from Microsoft. In this scenario, a yellow banner will appear on top and when you click on the "Request access from your admin"  a new popup will appear where you will be able to initiate the request for the required permission.

Please let me know if you require further support and we would be happy to resolve this for you. 

Attached screenshot contains the banner with the link to initiate the request.

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 10.20.04.png

Kevin Browne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2024

Hi, @Dominic Williamson , thanks for this great write up. I have a slightly different use case and wondered if you could offer some guidance?

We're operating with Jira Server (on-prem) and MS Teams, in a highly integrated ecosystem with dozens of apps and complex orchestrations to drive workflows. There are issues that arise where diagnosis and root-causing may involve multiple far-flung groups. It's not every defect, or even every sev1 - we just reach a point where a PM or PdM needs convene a temporary v-team to get people talking at a quicker pace so we can get resolution.

It would be great to invoke a command in the Jira Issue (custom menu item under "More"?) to Create a Teams Channel, name it according to the Issue title, and add a few users (e.g. the history of 'assigned to' or something). 

It seems like all the elements are here, but you're describing a pull from Teams where a push from Jira would be golden. Do you already do this and I just haven't found it? Or any hints on whether we could do it short of writing plug-ins and helper services?

Like β€’ Britta Neugebauer _yasoon_ likes this
Tere Pile February 1, 2024

@Muthukumar Ravishankar thanks, not sure that's the issue, app works as outlined in this video, I just noticed w/in Jira it shows the Microsoft Teams under Apps, then sign in, which works.  Then the warning message shows but I also see Add new connection, Team - Channel - but they are greyed out, not usable. I reported to Atlassian, repeated a lot of steps.  I am the Jira admin so all goo there.  Still nothing.  Not a big deal, just seems odd - something connects but won't work.    JiraTeams.png

Dominic Williamson
Atlassian Team
March 3, 2024

@Kevin Browne Create Microsoft Teams channels is a capability within the Microsoft suite. Consider looking into this https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/teams/#create-a-channel and then use the Jira connector https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/jira/
Hope that helps your use case. Also note, many scenarios do require Jira Cloud and you noted you're still on Jira Sever which has reached EOL.

Randy_lane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 22, 2024

is there a way to use Teams Files to store and work with files and attach them to Jira Tickets.  Example Jira ticket has requirements, i take that to create database tables, i want to update and upload the database design directly from Teams files, vs moving to pc to upload attachment.

Muthukumar Ravishankar
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2024

Hi @Randy_lane - If i understand correctly, you would like to Create a Jira issue from a chat message that also has a file attached to it? If so, we do support this capability. 

Click on the ... (3 dots or message extension) against a chat message that contains the attachment > locate the Create a Jira Issue action under "more actions" > Go through the process of creating the issue > You will notice that the attachment in the chat message gets automatically embedded to the issue. I have also attached some sample screenshots that shows this flow.

Please let me know if you require further support and we would be happy to resolve this for you. 

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 15.50.17 copy.png  -> Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 15.51.08.png

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events