Introducing 2 new ways to quickly edit issues

Hi Community :wave:

We’ve been working hard to improve the parts of Jira you’re using every day and are excited to announce two new improvements to team-managed projects that we think you’ll love.

Editing on the board: You can now make changes to cards directly from the board view, eliminating the need to open up an issue just to make a simple edit. This new feature will save you time and make working on the board more efficient than ever.

Bulk editing on the backlog: We’ve also brought bulk edits to the backlog for up to 50 items. This will make it easier for you to manage your backlog and change multiple items at once.

See more on how to use these two new features below!

Edit cards straight from the board

We’ve reduced clicks and made it easier for you to make simple edits to cards on the board. Now, you can simply select the field you'd like to edit and make changes directly to the card. This change currently applies to 4 fields: summary, parent (epic), estimate, and assignee.

Medium board inline.gif

Make simple bulk edits from the backlog

We've made it easier for you to manage your backlog and save time. You can now perform bulk changes without having to leave the backlog or open individual issues. With a few clicks, you can change the priority, assignee, labels, and estimate fields for multiple issues at once.

Bulk ops contectual 2 copy.gif

To make bulk edits to these fields:

1. Select issues one at a time by holding "command" (for Apple devices) or "control" (for Windows devices) while you select each issue. You can also select a group of issues by holding shift.

2. Right-click on any of the selected issues, or use the more actions (:meatballs:) menu.

3. Choose the bulk action you'd like to perform. You can perform these actions on up to 50 issues at a time.

With these changes to team-managed projects, you can stay in context while updating your issues, and make the process quicker than ever. Try them out in your project and let us know what you think in the thread below :point_down:

37 comments

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2023

With inline editing you're scoring points and kudos @Finch Grace !

Like # people like this
Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2023

I know that some of our clients will be super excited to hear about the bulk edit from backlog update! 🎉

Like # people like this
Phil Brown July 12, 2023

Very much not liking quick edits on the board. There's barely any space on a card to click-to-open or click-and-drag now.

Would be great if that feature could be specifically disabled.

Seeing a few more complaints about this here too

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2023

Hey @Finch Grace  - Thanks for the information. Personally, I love the features. But PLEASE pass along to your fellow Atlassian product managers that ALL new features that get implemented out of the blue like this need the ability to be disabled - preferably at the project level, but at least at the system level. 

Like # people like this
Finch Grace
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2023

@John Funk Thank you John — we've been paying close attention to all feedback across this feature update, and our Product team will look to iterate. We really appreciate your (and everyone's) thoughts!

Like # people like this
Bruce Mundin July 18, 2023

"Editing on the board" - probably the singular most irritating "new" feature that on a daily basis breaks up the flow of our standups and we trip up on it -- DAILY!!!

Please provide a way of disabling this irritation.

Like # people like this
Jonathan Gosselin July 20, 2023

Is it intended to also be deployed for company-managed projects ?

Like # people like this
Dan Lennon July 20, 2023

Bulk Edit on the backlog works for Company-managed projects.

Editing on the board I presume is restricted to Team-managed projects?

Like ronald_bergmann likes this
matt.fitzsimmons July 20, 2023

I see I'm not the only one super frustrated by the "editing on the board" feature. Please please PLEASE let us turn this off.

Like # people like this
Kirsten Erwin July 20, 2023

I can definitely see a use case for inline editing, and would love this feature if it were more intentional in its usage. As implemented, however, it's a bit more of an annoyance. I don't often need to edit the Summary of my Issues, but I do need to move my cards on my board. Apparently I tend to click-to-drag right on the Summary. Now, instead of dragging the issue, I'm in edit mode. Maybe a double-click to edit instead would be better. You'd still have inline edit, but it's more a more intentional action than just a single click in an already crowded card.

Like # people like this
Richard S Baran July 20, 2023

Happy to see Trello and Jira have new features.

Daniel Weidensdörfer July 20, 2023

I'd like to see this on company managed projects as well.

Like # people like this
Kamil Zatorski July 20, 2023

How can we disable edits on board?

Like # people like this
Stuart July 20, 2023

When are we going to see a merger of the two worlds in Jira? This team-managed and company-managed stuff has been going on for too long.

Like # people like this
Paul Rinnert July 21, 2023

Quick edits on the board is very irritating. As mentioned above, we have difficulties opening Jira issues via board as 90% of the card is now resulting in edit mode activation of summary, priority, epic, ...

For us this is not an improvement in our workflow. Same tendency in the backlog, making sprint planning/moving of issues continuously slower due to entering edit mode.

Like # people like this
Julia Eder July 21, 2023

I really like this feature, but cannot use it because we have almost only company managed projects :(

Please deploy this also for company managed projects

Like # people like this
Sabine G July 21, 2023

Bonjour , qd la mise à jour sera opérationnelle? pouvez vous me dire si j'y ai accès sur mon projet? merci

Léo Dumortier July 21, 2023

I'm really looking forward to such improvements to make the tool less rigid. I always find it hard to bulk edit issues. Unfortunately I'm only using company managed projects as I don't really find it really collaborative to have 'team managed' projects.

It could be nice to have a panel of such 'UI' features in the projects settings of company managed projects !

Thanks !

Like # people like this
Andre VORAKHOUMANE July 21, 2023

Editing the cards directly in the board is a great feature but all our project are company managed 

Like # people like this
Efrat Barak Zadok July 23, 2023

When would this be applied to Jira Service Desk as well?
Also, I would to have inline editing to custom fields as well

Jordy De Groeve July 24, 2023

New features are great but can be a pain when it messes up the flow of the user. Inline editing is one of these (for me). Please let the user decide if we want the enable it or not 🙏. 

Like # people like this
Esther Guerra _ CALLIDUS July 25, 2023

I haven't seen any changes on my team-managed board. Is there a place to activate it?

Like # people like this
Daniela Cardenas July 25, 2023

My company uses Jira Software Project (cloud) and I'm not seeing these updates in my boards. Am i missing something?

Like # people like this
Etai Leers July 27, 2023

@Finch Grace  - That's great ! 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2023

Hi @Finch Grace 

What are the plans to add a disable option for this feature before this is added for company-managed projects? Ideally, a disable at a site-instance scope and not project-by-project scope, to reduce the work for Jira administrators.

As others have described, this is quite a change to the UX and some clearly like it while others acknowledge the usability errors, issue-update rework, and confusion possible from this.  Features like this could improve their roll-out by anticipating usability problems and adding them "off" with the option for people to turn them "on".

Thanks, and kind regards,
Bill

Like Haddon Fisher likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events