Interview to the one and only JiraGPT 🤖

Today in the early morning (around 00:15) our team released JiraGPT in the new ChatGPT Marketplace. You can find the it here: https://chat.openai.com/g/g-2zafloeZl-jiragpt

It’s quite an exciting milestone for an Atlassian Marketplace partner!

I thought about researching a few use cases and sharing the results over here, but then I thought it would be way cooler to make an interview with this assistant and let himself explain what’s his best at. 

By the way, can anybody recognize the inspiration of the logo? 

CleanShot 2024-01-11 at 15.20.51.png

So, without further ado: 

Hi, JiraGPT! Can you introduce yourself and explain how you can be helpful to the community?

Hello, Atlassian Community! I'm JiraGPT, an AI specialized in assisting users with Atlassian Jira. My primary role involves querying issues using the Jira Query Language (JQL), helping users navigate their projects and tasks within Jira efficiently. I'm designed to facilitate a seamless interaction with Jira, making issue management and tracking more intuitive and user-friendly.

How do you assist users in Jira? Can you give some examples? 

Certainly! I assist users in several ways. For instance, I can execute complex JQL queries to find issues based on specific criteria, create new issues with details provided by users, add comments, and update existing issues. Let's say a user needs to find all high-priority tasks assigned to them that were updated in the last week; I can quickly retrieve that information. Or, if a user wants to create a new bug report, I guide them through providing all necessary details and then create the issue in Jira, ensuring accuracy and efficiency.

To be more specific, can you tell me some use cases for basic users, and how different they are from use cases for Jira admins? 

Certainly! Let me give you a list of 10 use cases for each type of audience: 

Use Cases for Basic Jira Users

• Creating a New Issue: Users can create bugs, tasks, or stories, providing necessary details like summary, description, and priority.
  • Searching for Issues: Using JQL, users can find issues based on criteria like status, assignee, or specific text in the description.
  • Updating Issue Details: Users can update fields in an issue, such as changing the status, adding comments, or adjusting the due date.
  • Tracking Work Progress: Users can view the status of their assigned issues and update progress, like moving a task from "In Progress" to "Done."
  • Attaching Files: Users can attach files or screenshots to issues to provide more context or evidence.
  • Watching Issues: Users can add themselves as watchers to issues to get updates and notifications.
  • Using Dashboards: Users can utilize dashboards to get an overview of project status, view their issues, or monitor progress.
  • Collaborating with Comments: Users can comment on issues to ask questions, provide updates, or collaborate with team members.
  • Logging Work Time: Users can log the amount of time they spend on issues for tracking and reporting purposes.
  • Using Basic Filters: Users can create and use basic filters to quickly access commonly viewed sets of issues.

Use Cases for Jira Admins

• Creating and Configuring Projects: Admins can set up new projects, define project settings, and configure project-specific details like workflows and issue types.
  • Managing User Permissions: Admins control who has access to what in Jira by managing user roles and permissions.
  • Customizing Workflows: Admins can create and modify workflows to match team processes, including setting up custom statuses, transitions, and post-functions.
  • Defining Issue Types, Fields, and Screens: Admins can customize issue types, create custom fields, and design screens to gather the right information for each issue type.
  • Setting Up Automation Rules: Admins can configure automation to streamline repetitive tasks and processes.
  • Integrating with Other Tools: Admins can integrate Jira with other software tools like version control systems, CI/CD pipelines, or collaboration tools.
  • Creating Complex JQL Queries: Admins can write advanced JQL queries for in-depth reporting or to create complex filters.
  • Maintaining Project Health: Admins monitor project health, ensuring performance and addressing issues like backlog grooming or sprint health.
  • Creating and Managing Boards: Admins can set up boards for different teams or projects, customizing them to fit various agile methodologies.
  • Training and Support: Admins provide training to new users and ongoing support to the team for any Jira-related queries or issues.

What are some precautions or rules you follow while operating?

I adhere to a set of rules to ensure accuracy and user control. For example, when creating an issue, I always summarize the fields and ask for confirmation before proceeding. This ensures that the information is correct and as intended by the user. I'm also programmed to prioritize user privacy and data security, avoiding any changes to project settings and ensuring a cautious approach in all interactions. I also don’t share Atlassian account IDs even if you ask me for them, and in spite of the fact that I do have access to metadata in Jira. 

What makes you different from other AI assistants?

My specialization in Jira sets me apart. While general AI assistants can perform a wide range of tasks, my focus is solely on Jira. This specialization allows for a deeper understanding of Jira's functionalities and a more tailored approach to issue tracking and project management. This targeted expertise enables me to handle complex Jira-related tasks more effectively than general-purpose AI. 

How do you see your role evolving in the future?

As AI technology and Jira itself evolve, I anticipate expanding my capabilities to include more advanced features like predictive analytics for project management, deeper integration with other Atlassian products, and more personalized user experiences. My goal is to continuously evolve to meet the changing needs of the Atlassian Community, making Jira management simpler and more efficient.

That’s great! Thank you for your inferences, JiraGPT! I hope that many users in the community get help from you and improve their journey with Jira!

4 comments

Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2024

Nice one. 

We actually wanted to name it initially "JiraGPT - Deal with your Issues" :-) Maybe I should have told it that ...

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2024

Oh and don't forget - like with anything GPT ... it's BETA. So you will see some hickups. Just let us know what you are missing/what's not working, that we can improve it.

Like • # people like this
wkennedy February 4, 2024

How does gpt_j_svc_resolution_cloud_com__jit_plugin manage authentication?

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2024

@wkennedy It's essentially acting to as a proxy to Atlassian Jira's OAUTH. 

Like • wkennedy likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events