How to create a dashboard to identify projects at Risk?

projects-at-risk.png

Want to create a dashboard that easily allows you to report on project health? The above example uses a simple select list custom field, a custom issue type called "Project" to track projects, and an Issue Statistics gadget to create a dashboard that identified projects (issues of type project) at risk and off-track.

Follow the guide to configure the custom fields.

1. Go to System Administration - Issues - Custom Fields.
  2. Create a new Custom Field of type Select List called "How are we tracking?"
  3. Add the following options for the select list.
    • <span class='aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-success'>On Track</span>
    • <span class='aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-current'>At Risk</span>
    • <span class='aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-error'>Off Track</span>
  4. Add the custom field to the appropriate screens on the issue.

End users can now update the issue status using the above custom field.

To create a dashboard,

1. Create a new dashboard and add the "Issue Statistics" gadget. You can also add the gadget to an existing dashboard.
  2. Select the statistic type to "How are we tracking?" custom field.

Hope that helps.

For some other tips and tricks on dashboards and wallboards, refer to the articles below.

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/7-steps-to-a-beautiful-and-useful-agile-dashboard

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/3-steps-to-a-rocking-agile-wallboard

8 comments

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2018

ohh.. it's pretty useful and understandable...

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2018

I am just going to leave a comment here to remind myself to check this out later. Thanks!

Like Jonathan Santos likes this
jorgefelix.siverio December 9, 2021

When adding the options above, they show exactly how they are written when a user selects the dropdown. It does not show On Track, At Risk...etc.

Nallusamy Narayanaswamy December 19, 2021

Yes, It shows as HTML span element as shown below 

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 11.35.36 AM.png

Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2021

Hey Community,

Great to see people are still interested in this page. This page is now 3 years old and needs an update.

Luckily, there is a purpose built app by Atlassian that addresses this specific need of better project status communication. I encourage you to evaluate and explore Team Central by Atlassian. A product that is now in Beta. Keen to hear what you think and how your companies adopt it. 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/team-central

Cheers,

Bhushan

Allie Stewart June 6, 2023

I'm attempting to do this as well on Cloud and I get the same result as Nallusamy.  

My select list options show as

• <span class='aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-success'>On Track</span>
  • <span class='aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-current'>At Risk</span>
  • <span class='aui-lozenge aui-lozenge-error'>Off Track</span>

Those actual texts.  Not lozenges to choose from.

Can someone advise?  Thank you.

Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2023

@Allie Stewart you cannot do this on Cloud as it includes custom styling components. But we at Atlassian have launched a complete product to help with this very use case. Take a look at Atlas

https://www.atlassian.com/software/atlas

Like Cricket Williams likes this
Elizabeth Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2023

I have implemented this in my instance and have found it to be incredibly useful; thanks!

Like Bhushan Nagaraj likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events