How to create Jira issues from Excel file?

38 comments

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

@serkan_sezer importing Importing cascading choice custom fields is described in the documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/importing-data-from-csv-861253680.html#ImportingDatafromCSV-PreparingyourCSVfile

Multi level cascading is not yet supported. See JRASERVER-34202

Michael Werner July 7, 2021

Thank you. Now I need my admin to get me access to it.

Tiago S. September 1, 2021

Hi,

Thanks for the article, it's very helpful.

I'd like to ask a question: Is there any line break character that is recognizable by Jira?

I added characters like \n and \r , to organize the items in a list for the task description.

I wrote in the .csv file:

Task objective \n # Step 1 \n # Step 2 \n # Step 3 \n

Expecting as result:

Task objective

1. Step 1

2. Step 2

3. Step 3

Then I got:

Task objective \n # Step 1 \n # Step 2 \n # Step 3

Thanks in advance,

Tiago

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2021

Hello @Tiago S. 

screen.png

Like Tiago S. likes this
Tiago S. September 2, 2021

Hey @Bogdan Gorka

Thank you!

thinkcerti September 21, 2021

Can I create Feature, related Epics and related User stories using a single CSV file? If yes, is there a dependency on the order of the entries in the csv file i.e Feature is first, Epic next and so on

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2021

Nice article! Thanks for sharing! :-)

dD October 20, 2021

Hey this is great! but can we go one step further and instead of importing the csv manually, can the system import it, when we send the csv-data per email? Is that possible? Thanks.

Ron Healy April 12, 2022

For anyone who stumbles across this excellent article and wants to create an Excel tool to make capturing and then importing User stories easy, have a look at this blog post (for Jira or any similar platform):

"Tool to auto-generate User Stories with minimal typing and even less repetition"

Luke O_Rafferty October 5, 2022

Am I right in understanding that only admins can do this? As part of a large organisation I would spend longer trying to find the system owner, get approval, explain the process, etc. than just manually adding a long list of sub tasks

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2022

@Luke O_Rafferty yes, this functionality is available only for admins.

However, if your Jira instance is big, there will also be some governance around it to collaborate with users on enhanceement and data migration.

If you know how to prepare your migration file in CSV, there usually will be someone workin via Service Desk (or some similar tool) to take your request and import the data for you.

Alternatively, there is also a manual way available in menu Issues (DC version). This is available to 'regular' users, but it has some limitations.

screenshot.png

Remya Ramakrishnan March 13, 2023

That was super helpful ! Kudos to your efforts in finding out and sharing with us :)

Remya Ramakrishnan March 13, 2023

Can we import further details as well? like Original estimates, Start Date, Due date  ?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events