Feature Announcement: Jira Software Next-gen Workflows Transitions: In Progress -> Done

40 comments

shakil hossain December 23, 2020

Hello @blim 

I had started learning and using Jira Cloud. Jumped right into the Next Gen Software projects as it seemed to fit my needs.

All my workflows were setup to "Restrict who can move an issue" from "Review" to "Done" step, by the "Reporter" of the issue.

Disappointed to suddenly find that the setting has "been removed" ? I now basically have a transition restriction that open to everyone. And do not see anyway to restrict to the "Reporter". That option seems to have disappeared.

Can we get this back please?

blim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 26, 2020

@shakil hossain Ah, sorry that enabling workflows killed your rule. Try this out:

1. Click on the global transition to "Done" (or set up a non-global transition from In Progress to Done)
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.59.56 PM.png

2. Click on the "Rule" button atop the workflow editor

3. Select the "Restrict who can move an issue" rule

4. Select "The issue's reporter" on the 2nd dropdown menu

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.53.12 PM.png

5. Check that the rule is applied to the transition into Done by looking for the lightning bolt icon:
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.53.32 PM.png

6. Save and close the Workflow Editor

Let me know if this helps! Happy to also jump on a Zoom call to troubleshoot.

Phil Walburn February 9, 2021

What am I missing here, as I cant see the 3 new Rules that are mentioned in this Post 

(1. Restrict who can move an Issue

2. Check that an Issue has been through a Status

3. Check and issues's field)

Capture.PNG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

@Phil Walburn , the workflow rules are under the workflow screen. Manage workflow and edit then click on rules.

A530533C-03FE-4B82-9596-6874D577471B.jpeg

Like blim likes this
Phil Walburn February 10, 2021

Thanks for your response @Jack Brickey

Has this changed recently, because the original announcement post from @blim shows that the option should be available on the Kanban board,

Capture.PNG

But in my board its not, and I cant find anywhere else to see this option ?

Capture1.PNG

(I do have admin rights to this project)

blim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2021

@Phil Walburn Strange. This is definitely a bug. Can you send me your Jira instance link by replying to this chat or via email at bryan.lim@atlassian.com? We'll get it sorted!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2021

@Phil Walburn @blim , I just assumed it was a change. I seem to recall it at the board level but certainly not there anymore.

blim
Atlassian Team
February 11, 2021

@Jack Brickey @Phil Walburn Really strange. I see it on my production instance...Definitely send me links to your Jira instances and we'll take a look!Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 10.43.36 AM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2021

@blim , to be clear we see “Manage workflows” on the board view. @Phil Walburn was saying however that he thought the rules were at the board view as well. I found them under the Manage workflow screen. Reference the images above for clarification. Your image is only showing manage workflow which is what I see.

Like blim likes this
blim
Atlassian Team
February 11, 2021

@Jack Brickey *whew* thanks for clearing that up! We're investigating Phil's instance now :) 

Robby Helms February 12, 2021

Hi @blim - thanks for a great feature, although I seem to be having some trouble with it today. After scouring help articles, this seems like the most relevant place, but let me know if there’s a better place for me to get this figured out.

I recently created a next-gen project, and was happy to see the Manage Workflow feature. Yesterday I added custom statuses and transitions to the workflow, and then today I wanted to continue adjusting it, but now suddenly my “Add Status” button is disabled, and I can’t move, delete, or rename statuses within the workflow editor. I can, however, still create and edit the transitions and rules.

Interestingly, I’m also able to create and delete columns on the Kanban board, which indirectly creates and deletes statuses in the workflow. But if I go to Manage Workflow, I still can’t edit those.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be hugely appreciated 🙂

blim
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2021

Hello @Robby Helms . Dang, this sounds like a bug. Can you email me your instance name with some screenshots? bryan.lim@atlassian.com

Szymon Walkowski March 2, 2021

Hi, how are you?
Are there any plans for creating API for reading those workflows - to check what fields are required for example for specific transition? Or there is already one like that?
Example: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/azure/devops/processes/rules/list?view=azure-devops-rest-6.0 

blim
Atlassian Team
March 3, 2021

Hey @Szymon Walkowski we have this for classic: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-workflows/#api-rest-api-3-workflow-search-get

It's definitely on our long term roadmap to support this for next-gen. Let me know if you have any questions.

Like Szymon Walkowski likes this
Chris Takacs January 15, 2023

Is no one else bothered by how useless "a workflow rules prevents you from moving the issue this way" is?

Why not actually provide feedback as to why the issue can't be moved to the user?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events