πŸš€ Exciting Update: Inline issue creation on boards for company-managed projects! πŸš€

Hello Community,

We understand the importance of streamlining your workflow and making issue creation as smooth as possible. That's why we're excited to kick off the rollout of inline issue creation on boards in company-managed projects.

What does this mean for you?

You can create issues directly on the board, right within your workflow, without the hassle of navigating to a separate screen. It's a simple and efficient way to add issues to the board and move forward.

ICC Community Post.gif

How to use the feature:

Select + Create issue from the column where you want to create the issue, write the summary, and press Enter/Return.

Or you can create anywhere on the column by hovering between 2 cards and selecting the + icon.

If you have any default filters active on the board when you create an issue in this way, the new issue will automatically inherit those filter values (excluding custom filters).
For example, if you're filtering for issues assigned to you when you create an issue inline, you'll automatically be assigned to the new issue.

Please note, if there are required fields for the issue you're creating, we'll automatically open the full "Create issue" form for you to finish creating the issue.

Where will the feature be supported?

In order for this feature to work, make sure the system setting Allow users to select a status for an issue they're creating is enabled.

The feature will be supported on:

• Kanban and Scrum boards with default board JQL(project = USER_PROJECT_KEY ORDER BY Rank ASC).

• All swimlane views except swimlanes using the projects or queries method.

Columns with validators, conditions, and post functions in the workflow might not have the feature available, depending on your admin's configuration.

Additional enhancements:

• To support the flexibility of unplanned work, we've extended the inline create functionality to Scrum and Sprint-enabled boards in both Team Managed and Company Managed boards.

• With columns containing multiple statuses, you'll be able to choose where to create the issue.

But wait, there's more!

We're continuously working on enhancing your experience with Jira. We're exploring ways to enable inline issue creation on even more boards in company-managed projects, including some non-default JQL query boards. Stay tuned for further updates and improvements in this space!

Try it out and share your feedback:

We encourage you to try out this new feature in your projects and share your thoughts with us in the comments belowπŸ‘‡. Your feedback helps us make Jira better.

Thank you for being part of our community, and we hope this update enhances your Jira experience!

5 comments

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2024

Hi @Amira Badran, while I have never been a fan of creating issues in the middle of a board / workflow, I can understand that this may be a user friendly way for people to add work items to a board.

I have seen this functionality before and did learn back then that there were a lot of requirements related to the way the workflow was set up to make this actually work. Could you elaborate how the workflow should be configured in order to enable the create issue link across the board? 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2024

While I can get my head around certain use cases with a kanban board, I cannot understand why you would want to apply this to a scrum board. The whole idea behind scrum is that you prioritise items in a (product) backlog and - very consciously - have a process in place to determine which items will be added to a sprint. This is done to create focus for the team and commit on a certain body of work so the team can work with limited distraction on the items it is supposed to deliver. This is a feature that literally undermines the core principle and essential benefits of working this way.

I am also wondering how this will impact existing reports that are commonly used to track how well the team is doing, like the control chart (which tracks lead and cycle time), sprint, burndown and velocity charts.

Amira Badran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2024

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout  for sharing your thoughts.

The Inline Create feature in Jira is designed to simplify task management by enabling quick issue additions. While it’s true that Scrum emphasises a structured approach to backlog management and sprint planning, Inline Create offers flexibility for those unplanned tasks that need immediate attention during a sprint. This does not necessarily undermine Scrum principles but rather provides a tool for flexibility when needed.

Additionally, users have multiple avenues to add issues to an active sprint, either directly from the TMP backlog or by selecting the current active sprint in the Global Issue Create's sprint field.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 8.27.39 am.png

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 8.28.54 am.png

Regarding your concerns about its impact on reporting, the feature is built to maintain compatibility with existing reports like control charts and burndown charts. Inline Create inputs tasks directly into your configured workflow, thus tracking remains consistent.

Inline Create feature is available on Kanban and Scrum boards for all swimlane views except those using queries. The board must use the default board JQL, which is "(project = USER_PROJECT_KEY ORDER BY Rank ASC). Inline Create is only visible in columns with a global transition. Additionally, you'll need to enable the system setting that allows users to choose a status when creating an issue.

I’d be happy to discuss this further or assist with any specific issues you're experiencing. Feel free to set up a call here, and we can dive deeper into how this feature can be optimised for your team’s workflow.

All the best!

Like β€’ Walter Buggenhout likes this
Kavita sundararajan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 18, 2024

Hi @Amira Badran is there a plan and timeline to make the inline issue creation functionality available on the backlog view of company-managed projects? It would be so much more valuable and a time-saver and efficiency enabler on the backlog view. Currently, it is a pain and a productivity killer to create issues at the bottom of the backlog and then move them to where they need to be based on the order of priority.

Thanks!

Amira Badran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2024

Hi @Kavita sundararajan 

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback on the inline issue creation functionality. I understand how the current process can be challenging, and I appreciate your suggestions on how this feature could enhance efficiency and productivity in CMP backlogs.

At the moment, this enhancement is not planned on our current roadmap. However, we are always looking to improve our experience based on user feedback, so I encourage you to check if there is an existing suggestion on JAC that aligns with your idea and vote for it to show your support. If there isn't one, feel free to create a new suggestion. This allows your request to be officially logged and considered in future updates.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events