Enhanced Jira board and backlog

462 comments

Brian Handscomb November 30, 2023

The new board seems lethargically slow doing anything compared to old one... Earlier today even create issue didn't work, seemingly "crashing" the app to a white screen, though working painfully slowly now - this makes the loss of the distinct new issue editor of the old UI even more acute IMHO as the create then edit system virtually doubles up the delay.

Like Patrick Nelson likes this
Robyn Moates
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 1, 2023

Today, during team planning, I had to actually give up and get a colleague  with a higher spec'd computer to take over because Jira kept freezing and was working so slowly that it was unusable. It was then still extremely slow for them and planning took twice as long as it should. When will the service be sped back up again?

Like # people like this
Jean Gordon December 3, 2023

We have had this issue since the wonderful for some but not for others, new features have been added. 

It crashes for us too making it unusable for some and as for the useless scroll bar and large icons, I despair 😩 

Mark R_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 4, 2023

Are these changes fully rolled out, still in EAP, or somewhere in between? This enhanced backlog addresses a number of challenges I've had with the current features.

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2023

Hi @Robyn Moates @Jean Gordon - can you raise support tickets for this please? This is obviously not expected behaviour and we are committed to addressing any degradation in performance from the old board and backlog. Many thanks!

Jean-Luc Deprez December 4, 2023

@Eoinso what about the functional degradation, are you committed to that too?

Like # people like this
Jean Gordon December 5, 2023

Hi @Eoin 

I have already ever since the rubbish scroll was added then they took away for me in the back end.

When it cam back was told to reduce screen size to 40%.

Performance is like this since the new board features were introduced that dont work for many but ignored.

I know some love the new board but for many its not good

Like Brian Handscomb likes this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2023

Hi @Mark R_ - you should have these enhancements available now - let us know if you still don't have them. Thanks

Like Mark R_ likes this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2023

Hi @Jean-Luc Deprez - we have deprecated one feature which had extremely low usage, but other than that there should be functionality parity. Let us know if a specific feature is missing. Thanks

Eoin
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2023

Hi @Jean Gordon - I believe you may be one of 45 customers that had a special override implemented to squeeze an unlimited amount of columns into the board view - overriding the column min-width. We have decided to not re-implement this because of the low usage. Apologies for this. 

Jean Gordon December 5, 2023

@Eoin 

This is completely rubbish as we have issues with this bug you have introduced

We also can no longer change Epic links since you included the new parent field as both are now disabled.

Atlassian are committed to making changes that do not help or support the way we work.

Are you suggesting we move to another tool where they actually take degraded features seriously.

1. Large icons some can only see 1-2 columns and 1 row
  2. Due to the scroll bar and the new fields we cannot use for calls or sharing
  3. Jira is so slow and crashes constantly
  4. Those who do not have higher spec systems are seeing slowness
  5. If you had checked we do NOT have unlimited columns in the board, which is why I raised tickets over year ago when the scroll was introduced to support those who had 10 statuses or more as we have max of 8

I am waiting for someone to contact me as I know the features you introduce that make operations worse are never fixed e.g. unable to bulk clone which is standard in other tools

Thanks

Like # people like this
Jean-Luc Deprez December 5, 2023

@Eoin 

Version drag == replace, instead of add.

I find it hard to imagine that that had extremely low usage. Both judging from this thread, other threads and the discontent within my company.

When you're doing rescheduling, which is a reality of software development, the drag-is-replace behavior made all the sense in the world. IDK who was asking to change it, but those that weren't are seriously sabotaged with the change.

Like Tim Gordon likes this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2023

Hi @Jean-Luc Deprez The reasoning here was due to inconsistency with how this worked across Jira Software. In the issue view, when selecting a version through the issue field the version is added by default, not replaced. And in team-managed projects, the drag behaviour added version, not replaced. So we opted to standardise on this behaviour as the majority of version field changes were resulting in the version being added - not replaced. Unfortunately, there is going to be disruption to some users in removing inconsistencies like this, but we believe that consistent behaviour is more important. Of course we apologise for you having to change how you add versions to issues. And just to confirm the workaround is to drop the issues first on the "issues with version" card first to clear the version. And then drop them on the new version as a second step. Thanks

theigor December 6, 2023

@Eoin - that workaround doesn't really work when using filters - if I am looking at issues in a version and want to punt a bunch of them to a different version, dragging them to "issues without a version" removes them from my view and unselects them and it's practically impossible to then drag them to the appropriate version. I am all for consistency, but please please make this a project or team or personal setting. I already had 3 teams abandon Jira over this. It's like a mass exodus.

Eoin
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2023

Hi @theigor - issues should not get deselected when you clear the filters. Can you recheck and let me know? Thanks

Jean-Luc Deprez December 7, 2023

@Eoin 

Yes, Atlassian personnel have suggested that workaround. Only it's a BS suggestion.

In the typical case you're looking at the issues of a specific version for rescheduling them, by filtering...

Drag them to "issues w.o. version" and you loose them, so can't reschedule anymore.

Anyhow, in the process of writing this I did figure that you can work around that, so the full workaround is:

1. Filter on the version you want to reschedule + issues w.o. version
  2. Drag the issues to issue w.o. version
  3. Drag the issues to the intended new version

It's only complication is that now you get "Issues w.o. versions" mixed in to the soup...

That being said. What kind of neurotic interpretation of UX design is that?

Oh the UI had behavioral difference which was of tremendous purpose, but "it's inconsistent so it must be changed". Since when is UX a game of axioms??

How about you start applying the same to the text you write in any natural language...

Like Tim Gordon likes this
Eric Myers
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 7, 2023

Can these backlog enhancements be turned off?  Is there a project setting to disable and revert back to the prior version?

Like # people like this
Zandrea December 11, 2023

Hi Atlassian team @Eoin , is there any way for me to turn off the new "Board and backlog enhancements" board and return to the previous version?

The fact that I cannot use cmd+F to search for a ticket nr on the board is an absolute disaster! I can no longer do my job efficiently and having to use the built-in search bar navigates me away from the board, which defeats the purpose of finding a ticket quick (especially during stand ups).

The new board is also much slower than its predecessor and the backlog is SO inconvenient, its not user-intuitive at all, having toggles for epics and having to open a dropdown to unselect an epic i clicked on (on purpose or by accident), instead of just having "show all issues" button in the side panel - SUPER annoying having to take multiple clicks to get something done where previously I could see it all on one screen and only had to single click to achieve my goal.

Also when I highlight a couple of tickets, dragging it to a different place or bulk changing it, it does not deselect default, and i have to go uncheck each ticket one-by-one. Seriously! What where you thinking, making my life as a PM harder.

Apologies for the rant, im just really frustrated with your updates that was forced on me. Please please please tell me how I switch this off and go back to the previous board? I do not have a toggle to switch it off as per the documentation.

Snip20231211_4.png

Like # people like this
Tim Gordon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 11, 2023

Zandrea I'm experiencing all the same issues you are. It's incredibly frustrating. I would also like to go back to the previous board and backlog; the new features just aren't work it given the performance and productivity hit I'm taking because of it.

I was given an instruction to enable the Jira Labs 'Store data on your own device' setting (under Personal Settings,) but this hasn't had a marked impact since I enabled it this morning. It's still a struggle to do things without waiting for the UI to catch up with me.

I somewhat understand where they're going with the approach to the epics panel and dropdowns, however they seem to have missed helpful design patterns used for disjunctive facets (since this is rather how it's behaving now.) Selected values should float to the top of the list of options, so that the user is easily able to identify what's selected at a given time. In the current display this is impossible without scrolling an entire list of epics (either in the side panel or dropdown) to figure out what's currently selected. It also lacks a 'clear selection' option only for each filter category, which would also improve things.

There seem to be various new behaviours causing friction (the drag and drop on versions is another) and it's all a bit confused to be honest. The new arrangement of the backlog item context menu is also a weird choice for me, but at this point it is what it is, I don't think there's any going back...

Tim.

Like # people like this
Eoin
Atlassian Team
December 12, 2023

Hi @Zandrea - here a couple of tips that will help alleviate some of the challenges you here facing...

1. "having to use the built-in search bar navigates me away from the board" Try using the search filter box which is located at the left side of the filter bar. This filters for issues within the page (and coming soon will have a highlight mode) and will not take you out of context.

2. "having toggles for epics and having to open a dropdown to unselect an epic i clicked on (on purpose or by accident), instead of just having 'show all issues' button in the side panel" Hitting the 'e' key will open and close the epic panel where you can select and unselect epics. Also the clear filters button in the filter bar will have the similar effect as a show all issues - albeit it will clear any other filter selected as well.

3. "Also when I highlight a couple of tickets, dragging it to a different place or bulk changing it, it does not deselect default" We're optimising for multiple actions here. But rather than unselect one by one you can click the "x selected" checkbox at the top of the page twice - once to select all and twice to remove all selections

Hope these are useful for you! Thanks

svko20 December 13, 2023

"We've removed the print option because it isn't used enough" Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!! Yes, I don't use it daily. But we used this option for workshops around cleaning up the Product Backlog. THANKS, now I need about a day's work to print instead of 5 minutes.

Like # people like this
Emily Bustamante Moreno
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 13, 2023

How can I remove the predefined filter created in my board? This filter is not working very well and it's causing problems here 

Andrey Kiyanovsky December 14, 2023

@Eoin When you click on Epic, it has to change the Epic, not add to an existing Epic. It drives me crazy (and not only me). When I click on an Epic, I want to see the Epic's tasks. Also, the side panel should show the Epic you click on.

If you want to give a possibility to select multiple Epics, you can implement it as it's implemented everywhere - with Ctrl/Cmd and Shift keys.

Margarita Turina
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 18, 2023

Hey! Thanks for the beautiful improvements!

I have a small question here. I see, that I should have subtasks in the backlog - grouped by stories and collapsed, which is perfect. But I don't see them and I don't have a Subtasks section on the "View settings" modal.

Does this mean they were switched off on the company level? Is there any configurations from the Jira administrators, which affect this?

ViewSettings.png

Like # people like this
Vitalina Hlukhenka December 20, 2023

Does anyone know why there is no update for issues in Done status in the Backlog page? It updates for To do and In progress, but constantly 0 for Done. Am I doing something wrong? @Eoin 

Screenshot_1.png

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events