Early Access Program: A new Jira email notification customization experience

43 comments

Eric Zheng
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2023

Hey everyone, in case you missed it, we have re-opened the survey :) 

Like # people like this
Matthew Challenger November 20, 2023

@Eric Zheng Is this only applicable for Jira Software or would this also apply to Jira Service Management? The initial post states...

"We're looking for Jira Software Cloud admins [...]"

Majken Longlade November 21, 2023

Does this replace notification schemes entirely? Wondering about "The admin notification helper tool will be deprecated"

Eric Zheng
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2023

@Matthew Challenger We primarily wanted to speak with Jira Software admins first, but this change will also apply to Jira Service Management and we'd love to chat with you too!

Eric Zheng
Atlassian Team
November 21, 2023

@Majken Longlade Hey, no this does not replace notification schemes. The admin notification helper tool is a seperate functionality that was used to troubleshoot email notifications. There is more context on what this is in Jira Admin Helper.

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2023

Eric ZhengMajken Longlade raises a good point I did not see originally...the admin notification tool is kind of critical when trying to figure out why a user is or is not getting an email.

I realize this change introduces another layer of complexity to this entire stack; can you give us a sense of what the admin notification tool will look like in this new world?

Eric Zheng
Atlassian Team
November 27, 2023

Hey @Haddon Fisher , we are exploring this feature request to provide a log of Jira emails which is aimed at providing admins with greater visibility over the emails that have failed to deliver. If this tool is something you'd be interested in, I'd love to chat! 

Please feel free to book some time in via my Calendly: https://calendly.com/ezheng-atlassian/customer-chat

Majken Longlade November 27, 2023

@Eric Zheng Yes, I know what the Notification Helper does and its relationship to Notification Schemes, hence the inference. Why else would the Notification Helper stop working entirely?

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2023

Hi Eric Zheng! Thanks for sharing, that's definitely something I'd love to see. One question - will it be able to determine if a user should have gotten a notification or just that one was sent and failed? Happy to set up some time if that's easier.

S Fong December 4, 2023

Hi @Eric Zheng - is this new feature used for troubleshooting?  I would like to be control what and who to send and NOT to send the notification out, as a Jira Admin, or even better if that can allow user with a project role have the same ability.  Is this new program aiming to achieve that?

Eric Zheng
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2023

Hey @Haddon Fisher, the initial scope is to just show the ones that had attempted to be sent but failed due to whatever reason.

Eric Zheng
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2023

Hey @S Fong , could you elaborate a bit more on what you're after? It sounds like you're describing project notification schemes which Jira Admins can configure to control who to send the notifications to. But ultimately, this new feature is to give end users the ability to apply an additional filter. Happy to jump on call to chat more!

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2023

Hey Eric Zheng- Thanks for the clarification! That is something that's not always super easy right now so that's awesome!

However I will say that does mean we're giving up the ability to tell when a user is supposed to receive a notification, which I guess makes sense given your next comment:

It sounds like you're describing project notification schemes which Jira Admins can configure to control who to send the notifications to. But ultimately, this new feature is to give end users the ability to apply an additional filter.

Does this imply users can opt-out of notifications? I'm not going to say I don't sort of get the impulse; Jira can be pretty chatty. At the same time, there are a lot of team types who might rely on these notifications being sent and see these as a feature.

If there's a situation a user really shouldn't be getting something...doesn't the current setup allow that? Even if it's logged or this tool shows it, that's reactive. If I were a team lead right now, I would not want to find out someone disabled their notifications (even if they did it by accident) when I'm putting out a fire that could have been easily avoided. 

At the end of the day, its not like users can't use mailbox rules to do this. Why take on the risk?

Eric Zheng
Atlassian Team
December 10, 2023

@Haddon Fisher Yes this implies that users can opt-out of notifications. I understand the concerns here and am completely aware that there are teams who rely on the notifications sent from notification schemes. While it's true that the current setup allows you to prevent certain notifications from being sent, this control is only given to admins. And the reality we've seen, is that the majority of admins don't have the time to properly set up notification schemes, AND when emails become too noisy and irrelevant, users end up ignoring their emails by default anyways. 

Another important note to consider is that not all users rely on email as the only channel to receive notifications - there are those who rely on in-product notifications, mobile, and/or 3rd party integration notifications. We ultimately believe that we should provide users the right controls to decide the notifications they receive, and where it's delivered.

But there's definitely a balance to be struck here, and I'd be keen to work it out through yourself and others. Please shoot through a message at ezheng@atlassian.com, and we can chat more!

Like Matthew Challenger likes this
Andrea_Lawrence January 3, 2024

@Eric Zheng is EAP for this closed? The survey link is expired.

Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2024

Hey Eric Zheng - I don't necessarily disagree with the ground truth that "Jira is chatty", but I have to admit it really feels like y'all are taking away the wrong lessons.

when emails become too noisy and irrelevant, users end up ignoring their emails by default anyways. 

This is true but also pretty misleading? Jira is noisy out of the box because that's how Atlassian set it to be...if you didn't want the default scheme to be so loud or the notification events to be so granular, it seems like those would be pretty simple changes to implement. I'll speak to this more next, but it's also a pretty quick and easy problem to solve.

the majority of admins don't have the time to properly set up notification schemes

I mean no disrespect but I don't see how this assertion could be true. Notification schemes are probably the simplest type of configuration to mess with in Jira, but even if they weren't, they're not exactly high-traffic . Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy to hear that someone is (finally) thinking about administrative experience, but in the near-infinite list of things Atlassian could do to shave time off my workload, this doesn't even make the top trillion.

Another important note to consider is that not all users rely on email as the only channel to receive notifications - there are those who rely on in-product notifications, mobile, and/or 3rd party integration notifications. 

I am not really following your point here - what communications channels an organization chooses to use should be up to them. The whole reason I'm pushing back on this is because this change removes one of the options in that choice by rendering the email notification system "unreliable" from an organization's perspective.

We ultimately believe that we should provide users the right controls to decide the notifications they receive, and where it's delivered.

Ultimately this is I think where our paths concretely diverge. The application does obviously need to be friendly to humans, but at the end of the day organizations are your customers...not end users. If an organization decides that "this user must receive a notification when this happens" then I am not sure why you think Atlassian needs to provide a user to disagree. 

All of this is particularly true since end users can already "opt out" of Jira notifications by setting up rules in their email client to black-hole Jira notifications. The difference is that when they do that in contravention of their organizational policies and requirements, they get fired, not Atlassian.

Mark B Wager January 15, 2024

This is great news!  Would notifications that are triggered by and/or sent by Jira Automations be affected in the EAP?  We do a LOT with automations.

Thanks,

Mark

Like # people like this
Byron Galietta March 8, 2024

This would be really useful for our organisation. Is there any news on how the EAP went or if there is another EAP planned for 2024?

Like Fardeen irani likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events