Advanced Issue Search will be renamed to ‘view all issues’

:wave: Hi Community friends,

We’re happy to announce that places in Jira leading to "advanced issue search" will be renamed to ‘view all issues’ beginning today 14th July 2023.

SCR-20230714-tnzh.png

before-2.png

What is advanced issue search?

Advanced issue search is a powerful and flexible way to to find your issues in Jira. You can define and specify criteria through filters in JQL.

advancedissuesearch-1.png

Why are we making this change

We’ve found that “advanced issue search” isn’t something users related to for this because of:

• Misaligned terminology: Users typically relate “Advanced issue search” to JQL, but clicking on advanced issue search may also lead to basic search with refinements.
  • Mismatched functionality: In Server, DC, and Cloud, advanced search refers to JQL.

• Misplaced concept: The terminology doesn’t reflect users' understanding or action.

In our research study, we found that “view all issues” matches our users' mental models better. We believe this will result in a better understanding of search in Jira.

Got questions, comments, or suggestions?

Awesome! Leave a comment on this page and we’ll get back to you.

12 comments

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2023

NIce - thanks for this. Simple language = simple model = simpler UX ...

Like # people like this
Jonathan Santos
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2023

HI @April Chi  Does this update apply to Data Center and Cloud?

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2023

@Jonathan Santos The article has tags 'cloud' and 'jira-cloud', so Cloud only.

Like # people like this
April Chi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2023

Hey @Jonathan Santos ,

Thanks for the comment. Dave is correct. It's already "view all issues" in Data Center today so the same applies but this change is effectively for Jira Cloud. 

Like # people like this
Jonathan Santos
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2023

@April Chi @Dave Mathijs  thanks !!!

Like # people like this
Rick Westbrock July 18, 2023

I think that "Search Issues" would be more appropriate. I noticed the change yesterday before I was aware of this post and was confused because View All Issues sounds to me like it has nothing to do with search.

Fortunately as a long-time user the option is still in the same place in the menu so I figured that's what I needed to click but I could see this being very confusing for new users. As a sysadmin I expect to have at least a few users who are new to Jira asking me "Where do I go to search for issues?"

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2023

@April Chi The name 'View all issues' isn't even correct (in Cloud) as the default filter restricts it to created within the last 30 days.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2023

"View all issues" is already proving to be the wrong name - people are asking questions about why it's changed and how it is limited when it says "all" here and on Slack.

I'm with @Rick Westbrock - "search issues" is more clear.

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2023

Hi @April Chi ,

I concur with Nic on this.

The new terminology is definitely misaligned with the resulting page. I really feel like "advanced search" or "JQL search" would be more appropriate. Further, it used to be that when one clicked on advanced issue search link the JQL search window would be empty with no issues shown. In my opinion, that is a better solution than what we have today which results in issues created in the last 30 days. I cannot remember when I ever wanted those results. This requires an extra step of deleting the default JQL and replacing with my desired search. 

Summary:

Please consider changing the current nomenclature to JQL search and leave the search empty.

Bonus:

Move it back to the top.

Like # people like this
Henri Volk _amily_ July 20, 2023

There is no reason to go there except for a search. And naming the two option more all identical is very confusing. Just name it "Issue search" and all would be good.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Ari Shinozaki August 13, 2023

I can't get to advanced search in search all issues - there is no box for putting in the query.  What is going on?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 14, 2023

Hi @Ari Shinozaki , if you click into the Search bar in the main menu area just to the left of your avatar then you will get a pop-up. At the bottom of that pop-up you will see "view all issues". Select this and you should be taken to the advanced issue search area.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events