Add watchers to an issue while creating it

Hello Community :wave:

We’ve been working hard to improve the issue creation process by implementing the ability to add watchers to an issue while you’re creating it!

This feature is rolling out slowly while we gather feedback to help us improve the experience, so you might not see it in your project straight away. You can expect to see it over the next few weeks. Customers on release tracks will see it sometime in the next month.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 12.07.55 pm.png

1. Watcher icon

How to use the new add watchers feature

While you’re creating an issue, you should see a watcher icon 👁️ at the top of your issue create form. You’ll only see this icon if: 

• watchers are enabled for Jira.

• you have permission to manage watchers in that project.

If you have auto-watch enabled, you’ll see the icon highlighted in blue while you’re create a new issue.

Adding watchers

If you have permission to manage watchers in the selected project, you can add any watchers that have access to that project. Just select the watcher icon 👁️ and search for a name, and pick a name from the list.

If you change the selected project after you’ve added watchers, you'll still see all the watchers you added (provided you have manage watchers permissions in the newly selected project). However, after you hit Create, only the people with access to the project will be added to the issue as a watcher. We’ll let you know if any watchers weren’t successfully added to an issue.

You can check all the watchers were successfully added to the issue by viewing the issue after creating it.

14 comments

Peter Heidorn May 25, 2023

I love this feature. Def nice to have.

Like # people like this
Sascha Haberlandt May 26, 2023

Very, very welcome! I'm looking forward to this feature, already requested by our team.

Like # people like this
Tom Miller June 30, 2023

Any chance to get it added to the Jira Settings Detail page?  I have a manager that wants to be a watcher on every ticket. This would make it completely automated.

Raj Vora July 20, 2023

Does anyone know how to:

A.  Find out which JIRA versions this has already been rolled out to

and

B.  Get this feature incorporated into your environment (is it through an automatic update or can it be manually installed?)

Like rmatana likes this
Sascha Haberlandt July 21, 2023

@Raj Vora : this feature is available in our account since 2 weeks and is working well.

No installation required, it's simply active and usable. 

Like Neha Rana likes this
Raj Vora July 21, 2023

@Jamen Huang  :  I'm just catching this now, but in the tags section above it only lists JIRA cloud. Is this feature being rolled out ONLY in cloud or server as well?  Thanks.

@Sascha Haberlandt :   I assume you are running Cloud, correct?

Sascha Haberlandt July 21, 2023

@[deleted] yes, i forgot to mention it - we are running JIRA Cloud.

Neha Rana August 7, 2023

Is this feature working for only Jira Service management license? Because we are using Jira software and Jira work management licenses too and the add watcher eyeball icon is not visible in other two cases. Only people who have Jira service management license can view the watcher icon while creating issue.

Jamen Huang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2023

Hi @neha , Thanks for asking. This feature isn't just working for Jira Service Management projects. But to use this feature, please make sure you have the permission to manage watchers in the selected project. Thank you.

image.png

Like Neha Rana likes this
Jamen Huang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2023

Hi @Raj Vora , thanks for asking. And yes, this is a cloud-only feature.

Neha Rana August 7, 2023

Thanks Jamen, Do users need to assume any role to manage watchers ? Because i am Jira admin and i can add watchers while issue creation but only people who hold Jira service management license can add watchers while issue creation others can't. But you confirmed that it is not related to license. What could it be?

Neha Rana August 7, 2023

Your help is really appreciated!

Armin Guldalian August 14, 2023

It seems that you can only add watchers that are part of a particular project while creating, but if you use the Add Watchers field after creating the issue you can add anyone from the organization - is there a setting I am missing or is this intended?

Andrea_Lawrence December 15, 2023

Can watchers be added when creating an issue via REST API calls?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events