Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to fill the assignee field after importing the tickets

Priyadharshani Pandiyan October 13, 2022

while I try to assign the tickets to my team members who have customer desk team privileges, am receiving the below error. Please help on how to resolve this issue . 

I even tried to change their access to System Administrator and yet witness the same error while i try to populate the assignee field. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (15).png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2022

@Priyadharshani Pandiyan -

Welcome to the community.  To supplement what @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- mentioned, by default (only JSM project's Administrator role or Service Desk Team role members) can have the ability to assign issues and to be assigned with an issue.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Appreciate the response! 

yes, am the project administrator and I have marked all the team members as Service Desk team. 

Just to give a background on the issue.

My organization adapted to JSM as its primary ticketing tool. I have been importing the issues from CRM and for tickets which were imported, am unable to populate the assignee details, whereas, for the tickets I have created manually, am able to add the assignee details.

And some weird observation is that at times, when i try to add the affected services, it gets populated sometime, and mostly the value is not updated. 

Earlier, i thought it would be glitch but i witnessed the behavior on Day 2 as well

Also, I did not observe this issue on JIRA Software tool. 

Hoping to find some solution to the above said problem.

Thanks in advance!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2022

For those assignees assignments, are all of them setup with JSM agent licenses?  Have you verify those users setup since you are site admin.

Another thing from your Cloud Product plan, you indicated as "FREE".  If this is true, you can only have 3 agents in this plan.  Meaning you can only assign issues to three users.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management/pricing

Best, Joseph

Priyadharshani Pandiyan October 14, 2022

Yes, we purchased around 25 licenses and i have used only 18 of them. 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2022

Thanks for your updates.  So for those imported issues from your CRM, are those assignees that you want to assign issue to all setup properly in your JSM env (i.e. they are in the group for JSM agents + all of them have been added to the JSM project's Service Desk Team role)?

Also - just to confirm, if you create a new issue for your JSM project that you can assign to those users?

Best, Joseph

Priyadharshani Pandiyan October 19, 2022

HI @Joseph Chung Yin ,

I observed there was a mismatch in the assignee names. there were two different JIRA IDs for some of the team members which has caused the problem. 

I had all the members removed from the project and had to add them again and disable the other ID. 

Thank you @Joseph Chung Yin and the community for the insights shared. 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 20, 2022

Excellent.  Please click on Accept answer button when your have a chance, so others can be benefit from our suggestions.

Best, Joseph

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Admin rights mean people can administrate your system.  They do not mean "can do anything".

You need to look at the rule for who can be assigned issues in that project.  Check the permission scheme and/or role settings.

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  , i did check their permissions using the permission helper on the privileges of the team member and it does not identify any anomaly.

And this pattern is observed for all my team members. 

Screenshot 2022-10-13 232737.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2022

But can they be assigned issues?

Priyadharshani Pandiyan October 17, 2022

yes, these are change requests. 

Am able to use the "Assign to me " and have the tickets assigned to me but not to anyone else. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2022

As you can assign to yourself, you must have the "can assign issues" permission, and, more importantly, you have the "can be assigned issues" permission.

It sounds like the people you are trying to assign the issue to do not have the "can be assigned issues" permission.  

Another possibility that crops up here a lot is that while users do have the "can be assigned issues" permission, you might not have the "browse users" global permission.  That stops Jira from showing you the list of people who could be assigned in the drop-down, and the autocomplete if you start typing a name into it.  In this case, you have to know the full display-name or user id to type into the assignee box (There's a good reason I always recommend admins grant "browse users" to everyone who can create or update issues)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events