Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jira@compagnyname.atlassian.net email handler

Alexandre Arsenault January 27, 2023

Hi !

When my customers send an email to 

jira@nvgsupport.atlassian.net it does not open a ticket.

But I do, it opens a ticket.

Our main email for jira is support@nvgsupport.atlassian.net 

I always thought that jira@ open ticket as well.

No traces of it in the logs.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2023

This sounds like your customers do not have accounts associated with the email addresses they are sending their requests from, and your system is not configured to automatically create them.

Alexandre Arsenault January 30, 2023

Yes, they have an account as client and they have an history of opening tickets, via the portal or via another email than jira@nvgsupport.atlassian.net

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

Ok, what does the incoming mail log say when it ignores one of their emails?

Nothing, it doesn't even appears on the incoming mail logs.

I guess that it's because this log is for support@nvgsupport.atlassian.net and not for jira@nvgsupport.atlassian.net 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2023

So when you go the project settings and look at the email channel, what do you see in the "view logs" option in there?

I see every comments added or new request.

But the ones sent to jira@nvgsupport.atlassian.net are not in this log.

As far as you know, should jira@nvgsupport.atlassian.net open new request?

If I (site admin) send an email to jira@nvgsupport.atlassian.net it opens a ticket.

But not if a customer do it.

They have the permission to Create Issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2023

Ok, what is the configuration of the handler(s) you have hooked up to listen for email on that address?

I also need to ask you to be clear with Jira-speak (it's not your problem, it's mine, I use certain words that have very specific meanings for Atlassian stuff).  When you say customer, I think "customer account" - a free account that lets people raise and track requests, in Jira Service Management projects, without having access to the issues behind the requests that the agents raise.  Obviously, you are a Jira user or Agent, someone who can log in and use issues.

Is that what your customers are?  Or do they have Jira user accounts?

Alexandre Arsenault February 27, 2023

Yes exactly. Customers means "Customer account"; can create tickets, can access their own tickets within the project but is not an "Atlassian account".

Anyway. I think the jira@ email will never open tickets. Unfortunately. These request will go nowhere. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2023

What do you mean by "ticket"?  The request or the issue?  (Ticket is a nonsense word, it's misused and misleading)

Customers in Jira only see the requests.  Internal Jira users (agents, and developers if you've given them access to the project) can see the issues behind the requests as well.

I need to know which one you are talking about, and what the configuration of your email handler or email channel is?

Alexandre Arsenault February 27, 2023

Hi.

Sorry for the misusage of the word "ticket" English is my second language.

The correct term here is Request. 

Steps to reproduce : 

1. Customer send an email to jira@projectname.atlassian.net

Problem occurred

No request is created. 

Expected behavior : 

Creating a request after sending an email to jira@projectname.atlassian.net . We expect the same behavior as when the customer send an email to support@projectname.atlassian.net

Current email handler configuration : 

Sans titre111.png

Current Default email account : 

Sans titre222.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2023

It's fine about "ticket". It is widely abused in the IT industry, and it's not helpful in Jira because it can't clearly identify whether you're talking about an issue or a request.

Anyway, it looks to me like you have two incoming email functions here, whilst they won't interfere with each other or block things, they do do two different things.

As you want requests, and you've shown us the project as being "service management", then what we should be looking at is your second screenshot. 

This looks to be correct to me, but the next step is to look at the "view logs" for it, and to check the exact settings for it (edit it to see these).

This also implies the "create user" in your first screenshot may not be needed.  "Create user" is only the name given to it, it is listening to a different email address, and if you look beneath the name, you'll see what it is actually for.  Note that it is for creating issues, not requests!   It should be harmless though, your Agents just don't get requests from it, only issues added to their queues.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events