how to concatenate values from different fields in summary?

rangel de oliveira machado July 3, 2022

Good Morning!

I have 3 different ones in the same form in jira and I need to concatenate the values of these fields in the summary field during the notification of approvers.

does anyone know how to do this?

4 answers

3 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2022

You can use Automation. You would create a rule that would trigger on The approval transition. You can throw in some conditions to ensure that the action only execute when desired. Your action is to edit the summary field and use smart values to add the contents of your various fields.

here is a link to Automation - jira-cloud-automation .

if you get stuck just ping me back here I'll see if I can assist further.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2022

@rangel de oliveira machado -

In addition to what @Jack Brickey mentioned, you need to keep one thing in mind that the "Summary" field is a single line of text field, and it has a 255 chars limitation.  So, when you use automation rule to update your summary field's value,  it cannot exceed the limitation.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

1 vote
Answer accepted
rangel.machado.ext July 4, 2022

Thank you very much my friends. I will try to do what you are suggesting. @Joseph Chung Yin  e @Jack Brickey 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2022

@rangel de oliveira machado / @rangel.machado.ext 

Excellent.  Feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.  In the meantime, if our suggestions helped you, please click on Accept answer to our suggestions when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
rangel.machado.ext July 4, 2022

My friends @Joseph Chung Yin @Jack Brickey, good afternoon!

I was able to build automation that notifies the pending approver at the time of transition. The values I wanted to send are going correctly, however, now I have the following problem:

Jira is sending two notifications, one being a standard "Approval required" from Customer notifications where it has the Approve and Reject buttons and the other is the automation I created to take the data from the fields I wanted to send.

Is there any way to centralize these two in a message?

Can I send the approval request only through automation in order to send the approve and reset buttons and this would disable the default "Approval required" notification from Customer notifications?

print de automação.PNG

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2022

You could disable the Approval required notification under project settings > customer notifications.

Like María Laura Cejas likes this
rangel.machado.ext July 5, 2022

@Jack Brickey 

Yes, but if I disable the Approval required notification would I be able to send the approve and disapprove buttons via automation to the approver's email?

We have the following particularity: The approvers are from top management and CEOs. They don't want to go into jira to approve...they want to do it via email as per the facility provided by the Approval required notification? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events