Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add an additional change type option?

Rantly Liriano January 30, 2023

I would like to add a new type of change management to my process.   is that possible on Jira Service Management?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

@Rantly Liriano -

Welcome to the community.  I agreed with what @Mikael Sandberg stated unless you are asking for something else (i.e adding a new issue type to your your JSM env, and then use the issue type to create request types etc..).

If so, please provide more details, so we can better assist you.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Rantly Liriano January 31, 2023

Thank you for this, but this is not the answer.  I can create different request types but can not change the "CHANGE TYPE."  My organization would like to add another option.  The default Jira options are Standard, Normal, and Emergency.   We would like to add an additional type called "Significant."

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2023

The Change type is a custom field that you can add to. Just go Settings > Issues > Custom fields and look up Change type. Then click on the three dot menu on the right and select Contexts and default value.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2023

@Rantly Liriano -

Thanks for your additional information, it is now clear on what you are asking.  You are asking for adding new option value for the field's dropdown list.

To do that (assuming you are the system admins), then you can go to "Settings" the gear icon located at the upper right of your UI and then select "Issues" (Jira settings section).

Once you are in Issues UI, click on "Custom fields" and then locate "Change type" field >> click on "..." symbol and select Contexts and default value option.

2023-01-31_7-57-07.png

Once you are in the "Change type" field UI, then click on "Edit Options" link to add in your new dropdown value.

2023-01-31_7-57-22.png

NOTE - You can also setup different dropdown contexts per project/issue type if wanted by creating new context as needed.  By default, the options are applied globally.

Hope this helps.  If my answer helped you, please remember to click Accept answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Rantly Liriano February 1, 2023

Thank you so much @Joseph Chung Yin.  This did the trick.  I really appreciate it. 

2 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 30, 2023

Hi @Rantly Liriano,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Yes, that is possible. Just go to Project settings > Request types and select the Changes work category. From here you can add move change request types. 

Rantly Liriano March 10, 2023

Thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events