Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow Advice

gregory.wallace May 6, 2024

Cananyone give me the best way to expain to a client to most painfree way to correct an overly convoluted workflow? The workflow in question has 53 transitions!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2024

Hello @gregory_wallace 

What "corrections" need to be made?

How many Statuses are there in the workflow?

Why are there 53 transitions? That seems like a maintenance nightmare.

"the most pain free way to 'correct' an overly convoluted workflow" is to start with a new, basic workflow where issues are allowed to transition to and from any status, and build that up with the extras that are actually needed.

Maybe there is some legitimate reason for what they have. Maybe it has become so convoluted because administers just kept adding to it without asking why changes needed to be made. I recommend that you have conversations with them about all the customizations that have been made. Use the Five Whys to try to get at the root problem that they were trying to solve with each customization, and then investigate if the customization actually solved the problem. 

As they explore why the customization were made, they may find that they either aren't really needed or didn't actually solve the problem.

simarchhabra232 May 17, 2024

Hi I have question regarding workflows. I have created a copy of the workflow. when I go to Issue -> Screens, I see my created screens there but there are 3 more columns on that screen: Screen scheme, workflows and Actions. What I noticed is the worklow I copied, I can see it with the screen I have copied from. While the workflows are perfectly working fine for my project but why is it linked to the screen from where I made a copy 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2024

Can you provide screen images of what you're seeing?

Apologies I won't be able to share that. But would be able to guide me on what could be the issue here. 
For ex I creates screens names Abc for each issue type and I am creating workflows for each issue type. I copied from XYZ but the workflows are coming under XYZ and not ABC. All screen schemes configurations seems okay, workflows are working fine but why this issue. If you can take a guess 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2024

First, I think you should start a new Question post to get assistance, since the question you are asking is no the same as the question posed by the author of the original post.

Creating a new Question will ensure your request for help is seen by the wider Community. Updates to an existing post are seen only by the author of the original post and the people who responded to it.

In that post if you can't provide screen images then we need you to provide the details of the steps you executed to create the items you are view, and the steps you execute to navigate to the screens where you are viewing information. How did you make a copy of the workflow?

You said "I copied from XYZ". What is XYZ? Is it a Project? We need to have clear information about what entities you're referencing when you use the place holder names.

Thanks for your quick replies here. I was able to find the error. In worflow transition there were associated to the screens and unforntunately it copies that as well. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events