Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When submitting request via customer portal getting error: you do not have the 'Assign Issues' permi

DScherer July 14, 2022
Full error is: Couldn't send request
You cannot create this request because you do not have the 'Assign Issues' permission. Please try another request type on the portal.
I don't understand the reason getting error since a portal customer doesn't assign issues.
According to the documentation when I run the permission  helper it doesn't give the option to automatically fix it.
Can anyone give me some guidance to my confusion.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

@DScherer -

You will need to check in two places in your JSM project -

1) Check on the WF used against the request type to see if there are anything post function calls which are setup to assign the issue at issue creation.

2) Check to see if there are any Automation for Jira rule setup for the project which defined for issue assignee assignment.  You should check to see who is the Actor executing the rule.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

DScherer July 14, 2022

Thanks for the quick response. That's what it seams like but all issues do the same and workflow just opens a ticket and that's it. All the automation policies are turned off.

When I submit an issue using my admin user account it submits successfully and no users are assigned either.

DScherer July 14, 2022

I just realized the last change i made was removing all the customers from their organizations because I didn't want them to see each other issues. So now I have all the customers entered with no organization.

I just added a customer to an organization and now that customer submits issues successfully. So that solved that issue but not sure why but now I'm back to original issue that when customers are in the client portal they can see all the issues for everyone in the organization.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

Can you tell me what is your setup looking at the following JSM configuration -

https://<your address>.atlassian.net/jira/settings/products/jira-service-management-configuration

"Should new requests automatically be shared with a customer's organization?".  By default is set "Yes".  If it is "Yes", change it to "No".  This should fixed the problem that you have with users seeing all the issues within the same org.

Best, Joseph

DScherer July 14, 2022

Thanks again.
That setting is set to No. I see all the issues from the customer portal by selecting View All or From View Organization.

I'm still using next gen team project. Maybe that is why the setting isn't working.

I am pretty sure I figured out a workaround, so far, so good.

Create an organization and populate the org with all external customers, but don't fill the organization field in the issue itself.

This is letting the portal customer login  and submit issue, without getting the error to about assigning issue permission. It's also restricting the user from seeing anyone else's issues but does show the view all from organization button. I can live with that. 

Guess I should get on the overwhelming task of converting it all over to the latest project and maybe everything will work as expected.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events