Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of the JIRA API Token

Mike Donnan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 17, 2023

I have developed an Excel sheet which uses the Cloud API to run JQLs. I use the API token code generated from the JIRA website. The authentication in the web call is email.address:token ...  how do I share this Excel sheet with another person for them to use..? Do they have to generate their own code and embed in the API call..?

1 answer

0 votes
Nicolas Brunson May 18, 2023

The recommended way would be to make the login credentials configurable and have every user generate their own API token. Please note that depending on the user's permissions and the configured JQL, other users may receive a different number of results (check configured Security Levels, Permission Schemes, etc.).

Another option would be to create a dedicated service account for the Excel sheet and use the API token from that account in the shared Excel sheet. Since the API token allows full access to the user's account, you should take appropriate measures with the service account's permissions to ensure that it only has access to the required resources, e.g. by restricting its edit permissions.

Mike Donnan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 18, 2023

Thanks Nicolas...  how does this work with Atlassian's licensing model. If you have more "agents" using a service account to perform admin tasks in Jira than you have "agent" licenses..? Also... an agent is defined as someone who can edit or delete comment on issues ... if you are doing this through the API... does it have the capability to capture the "real" user in the issue history rather than the API service account..?

Nicolas Brunson May 18, 2023

@Mike Donnancorrect, that service account would use an agent license since an agent is defined as someone who has JSM product access. Out of the box there's no way to map actions taken by the service account to the real users.

You could create an internal comment via API on the issue with the action taken and log the username.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events