Use Opsgenie-schedule in combination with automation to assign issues in JSM

Ben March 28, 2023

I would like to use Opsgenie's on-call schedule to specify who an issue can be assigned to.

For this I have created the following rule in the project:

Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-28 um 10.31.40.png

(Rule is also working:)

Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-28 um 10.31.56.png

In addition, I have created the following calendar in Opsgenie:

Bildschirm­foto 2023-03-28 um 10.33.23.png

My problem is that ALL 3 people (Test User, Jens and Ben) are all present at the same time and they should also be assigned issues. (They are not there alternately, i.e. 30m Ben, then 30m Jens etc., but they are all present AT THE SAME TIME.)

Now, when issues are created in the Jira Service Management project, they are only assigned to ONE of the users who are on the on-call schedule. I have also not yet understood HOW Jira selects the user here. But it is always only ONE of the THREE users that are in the schedule.

Does anyone know how to change Jira's behavior so that all 3 users are assigned issues, say one after the other, and not just one?

(edit: wording)

1 comment

Michael Vidallon March 28, 2023

Hello Ben,

There can only be one assigned Jira user at a time. You should select one user as assignee then the rest can be watchers (if internal users, request participants if external users).

If you want to notify all of them at the same time, you may setup this way:

In OpsGenie, you may setup 3 schedules and assign these 3 users in each schedule, then notify them all at the same time (or by interval if desired) via escalation policies (by the minutes 0m, 5m, 10m and so on, however you want the escalation policy to work. (ideally your default routing rules should point to the escalation policy to ensure escalation would work).

Then I believe whoever acknowledges it may be added as a responder (please test that in cloud) - then your rule might work.

I am speaking from a Jira Data Center perspective since in our case, we had to parse the comment generated by integrating OpsGenie with JSM Legacy (Data Center) and assign the user accordingly.

Michael Vidallon March 28, 2023

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Can-I-assign-more-than-one-person-to-an-issue-on-a-kanban-board/qaq-p/1668806

This should also be true to confirm how many users can be assigned in Jira at the same time.

It would also be good to understand the flow:

a. Jira ticket created then OpsGenie alert generated?

b. OpsGenie alert generated, then Jira ticket is created?

Ben March 29, 2023

I don't think that's quite what I mean. It is clear that 1 Issue can only ever have one assigned person. That is not the problem.

What I am doing is the following:
I use the on-call feature of Opsgenie to assign issues using automation.

Rule Automation:
When ticket is created -> Assign the ticket to a person from the on-call schedule.

The problem now is that the DIFFERENT tickets are always assigned to only ONE person. But there are several persons in the schedule. Ticket 1 should be assigned to person A, ticket 2 then person B, ticket 3 then person C, ticket 4 then person A and so on. But this does not work, as described in the initial post.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events