Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I assign more than one person to an issue on a kanban board?

It would be really useful to assign a few people to an issue as I see that a place to form a team for it. Please help. 

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk Community Leader Apr 20, 2021

Hi Thomas - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

No, you cannot assign an issue to multiple people in Jira - there can only be one person who is the assignee/owner of the issue. 

So organization will use the Team field so more people have eyes on it or work concurrently. 

Or you can create a new custom field that is a Group Picker type field or Multi-user Picker type field. Then you can add a group or multiple people to the custom field. 

Thanks John, can yo please explain how I create a new custom field so add multiple people

John Funk Community Leader Apr 20, 2021

Sure - go to Settings > Issues > Custom Fields

Click on the Create custom field button in the upper right

Click on the All link on the left side

Then click on the User Picker (multiple users) option near the bottom (they are in alphabetical order). 

Be sure to add any context needed for the field. 

Thanks again John, that doesn't seem to be an option when I click on settings. I get this:-

Capture.PNG

Sorry to be a pain but any advice would be very gratefully received. Do you know if there is Jira guru I could speak over phone/video to help in general? Thanks again,

Tom

John Funk Community Leader Apr 21, 2021

You will need to be a Jira Administrator to create shared Custom Fields. 

What type of project is this? 

Ah ok well I may have to contact our business administrators.

I'm thinking of using a Kanban board to get overview of each project that we have over the course of the year. I was intending to have a column for each month and each issue would represent a project. The thing is there will be multiple people on each project (issue). It may be that there is better way to address this. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks John

John Funk Community Leader Apr 23, 2021

It would be really strange to see a column on a Kanban board for each month. What is it that you are really trying to accomplish?

0 votes

No and yes.

Assignee is the field that holds the single person responsible for the issue.  It is never right to assign an issue to two people (well, one case, but it's actually irrelevant in that case).  So assignee will not do it.

But you can indicate that other users might be involved or interested via fields that allow you to add more users - watchers might be used sometimes, but most of us reach for a custom field - a single or multi-user picker, or sometimes a group when that's appropriate.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Staying organized with Jira: best practices for a better project management

Project managers know this problem: A “mountain of work” lays in front of you, and you don’t know how and where to tackle them. Different to-dos lie ahead, but just one task after the other can be ha...

242 views 2 1
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you